HELP!!!! Algae out break

saltjunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m lost and don’t know what to do, I clean my glass and in seconds the algae is back. Not running any media yet. Just 2 filter socks. Tanks a max e260 with in cabinet sump upgrade. I was thinking of adding a carbon reactor. Also I’m new to reef2reef. Please help.

image.jpg

OP
OP
S

saltjunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha no, it just covers the glass again in seconds. Nitrates are 5ppm and phosphates are .03ppm

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha no, it just covers the glass again in seconds. Nitrates are 5ppm and phosphates are .03ppm
Do you have any corals in the tank?

If you dont, I would lower the light to see if that helps.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m lost and don’t know what to do, I clean my glass and in seconds the algae is back. Not running any media yet. Just 2 filter socks. Tanks a max e260 with in cabinet sump upgrade. I was thinking of adding a carbon reactor. Also I’m new to reef2reef. Please help.

image.jpg
I see a lot of reflection from tank glass and trying to determine if its algae or dino however the greenish tint to water suggests you are getting too much light and my best guess - the light and indirect light coming from your surrounding windows,. Reduce lighting to tank and add some snails such as :
Astrea
cerith
turbo grazer
trochus

A Pencil urchin

8-10 Caribbean blue leg hermits

Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank if it’s new you are probably in the ugly stage, if you’re going to buy any new piece of equipment, do yourself a huge favor and get a algae scrubber and never worry about algae again, and welcome to R2R

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpg
You need to add some kind of media why haven’t you added any yet ?

OP
OP
S

saltjunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank if it’s new you are probably in the ugly stage, if you’re going to buy any new piece of equipment, do yourself a huge favor and get a algae scrubber and never worry about algae again, and welcome to R2R
So I ordered an algae scrubber, will it help that much? I’ve turned my lights off and plan to leave them off for a few days. Is there anything else I should be doing. My water is very murky

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ordered an algae scrubber, will it help that much? I’ve turned my lights off and plan to leave them off for a few days. Is there anything else I should be doing. My water is very murky
Yes, they can work well. They remove a lot of nutrients from the water, starving the alage in your DT.

Also, having your lights off will prevent your algae from doing photosynthesis, which is where they make their food molecules to do cellular respiration, and when that can't happen cells start to die, which will eventually kill all the algae off.

Can light still access the tank? If you really want to get it to go away, make sure there is no light at all. I am not to sure how this would affect your fish though...

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could run some carbon to clear up the water, once you start running the scrubber beside dosing Alk, Ca and magnesium, you also want to dose some trace elements, those scrubbers will strip your tank of everything. If you’re not careful, that’s how good they are.

OP
OP
S

saltjunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could run some carbon to clear up the water, once you start running the scrubber beside dosing Alk, Ca and magnesium, you also want to dose some trace elements, those scrubbers will strip your tank of everything. If you’re not careful, that’s how good they are.
I’m gonna be dosing allforreef by tropic Marin

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a phytobloom. Copepods and a UV will end it. Carbon won't do anything.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back