Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium? (select all that apply)

• Razor blade

Votes: 197 64.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 82 26.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 109 35.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 51 16.6%
  • Other

Votes: 80 26.0%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

Cleaning that aquarium glass, inside and out, is a key part of enjoying our reef tanks and being able to see and enjoy everything that is going on in our aquatic ecosystems. While some reef keepers are more detailed than others and some clean the glass far more frequently than others, this is a part of the tank maintenance for most of us. In addition to the improved viewing, there are other functional reasons to clean the glass such as algae control and removal. Now that most of us agree that we should be cleaning the inside of the aquarium glass with some level of regularity (we can agree on that, right?), let’s think about how to do it. For your tank, how do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium? Please share your approach and if you have any tips or tricks for cleaning.

Tunze_CleanGlass.jpg

Photo by Tunze

If you are looking for additional tips on cleaning your aquarium glass, then please consider reading the R2R article on How to Scrape Glass and Acrylic.

Additionally, there is a few more days to enter the Tunze giveaway where you may be able to win a Tunze Premium Glass Care pack.

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tckcorals.com

TCKBanner.png

AtlantiCat

33% Salt, 67% Fresh, 100% Weird
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Tip: Don't change aquarium sides with your Mag Float at the surface unless you're into salt water facials. :winking-face-with-tongue:

Also, fingernails and tooth brushes make wonderful glass-cleaning tools in specific circumstances. :upside-down-face:

Evil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheap petco large magnetic scrubber and razor blade on telescopic pole and toothbrush for corners. On the outside glass I use automotive carnauba wax and a microfiber cloth. This makes glass sparkle and resistant to fingerprints, beads any splashed water and more resistant to water stains. Just like waxing a car.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted for them all.
CUC, snails do it for me.
Magic eraser, I sometimes use.
Razor, I have and scratch the glass, never again.
Tunze long arm, I won last year. Now my go to. I will say it comes with a razor but I'll be taking that off with the low iron tank.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a stainless steel pad I divide to get a thinner pad and adhere it to a strong Sicce pump magnet. It is an "algae magnet" that works nearly like a blade and removes even thin layers of calcified algae. It makes almost never scratches (after years of use in several tanks), much less so than blades.

The steel pad cleaner must be taken out of the tank and flushed with freshwater when not in use.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love a scraper that is wider and long handled. Like 6-10" wide and 30" long. I don't know how commercial aquariums get cleaned but my 340, it takes me 45 minutes to an hour to clean all 4 sides of my glass with the tiny 3-4" blade at the end of it. I could cut that time in half if it was a 6-12" wide blade. It works, just is slow.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%

Back