Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium? (select all that apply)

• Razor blade

Votes: 197 64.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 82 26.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 109 35.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 51 16.6%
  • Other

Votes: 80 26.0%

• Total voters

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean with a magnet brush some areas of interest but, never 100% of the glass.

Keep in mind this film that grows on glass is also a good source of food for pods! So.. by eliminating completely, you might not sustain a good population of them which we know very to be helpful.

20221116_194545.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Flipper edge and Mighty Magnets

rc8t6353

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheap petco large magnetic scrubber and razor blade on telescopic pole and toothbrush for corners. On the outside glass I use automotive carnauba wax and a microfiber cloth. This makes glass sparkle and resistant to fingerprints, beads any splashed water and more resistant to water stains. Just like waxing a car.
I never thought about waxing the outer glass. My stand catches finger prints too. Gonna do this tonight after work. Thanks!

Tactical Reefkeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the plastic platinum flipper works great and when I want to switch to razor blade, I just take out the card and then put the razor blade in. Really recommend it.

Antaguana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eek. I've used the magnets forever. Should I not be? Why don't you use them?
If it has been working for you for a long time you are probably fine.

Some people don't like the magnets as they can / have scratched the glass/acrylic.

Many people do use them with little to no issue.

People who do use them often recommend being very careful near the sand, if it picks up sand then sand can scratch the glass. Remove the unit and rinse when not in use to prevent hard things growing on the blades / foams. Using plastic instead of metal blades, especially on acrylic.

tuscani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheap petco large magnetic scrubber and razor blade on telescopic pole and toothbrush for corners. On the outside glass I use automotive carnauba wax and a microfiber cloth. This makes glass sparkle and resistant to fingerprints, beads any splashed water and more resistant to water stains. Just like waxing a car.

Wax on the outside.. ha! Brilliant. Doing this

Luisn17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using magic eraser but going to start using a tiger shark with magic sheets. Could not take spending over an hour cleaning the 8ft acrylic front panel and sides every week. I looked at the mighty magnets but could get myself to spend the mighty price.

sgdnycct

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

Cleaning that aquarium glass, inside and out, is a key part of enjoying our reef tanks and being able to see and enjoy everything that is going on in our aquatic ecosystems. While some reef keepers are more detailed than others and some clean the glass far more frequently than others, this is a part of the tank maintenance for most of us. In addition to the improved viewing, there are other functional reasons to clean the glass such as algae control and removal. Now that most of us agree that we should be cleaning the inside of the aquarium glass with some level of regularity (we can agree on that, right?), let’s think about how to do it. For your tank, how do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium? Please share your approach and if you have any tips or tricks for cleaning.

Tunze_CleanGlass.jpg

Photo by Tunze

If you are looking for additional tips on cleaning your aquarium glass, then please consider reading the R2R article on How to Scrape Glass and Acrylic.

Additionally, there is a few more days to enter the Tunze giveaway where you may be able to win a Tunze Premium Glass Care pack.

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tckcorals.com

TCKBanner.png
For anyone who is using the magic eraser- the product is designed to break off small particles to avoid scratching things. Is that not a concern in the tank?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back