Clear slime on Favia?! Just stressed and irritated?

John.Thompson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently put a few coral into my new tank. It was cycled and all stats measured great. A “perfectly” adjusted tank. This morning on about day two, the Favia has this clear slime and opened up?? Does this look like a soon to be dead coral or nothing to worry about?! All other coral seem to be doing okay. Don’t really know tho… help!
As well as small tentacle things off of the other guy. Thanks!

image.jpg image.jpg

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@John.Thompson it's hard to tell. How long has the tank been setup? Have you recently done a water change? The reason I ask is sometimes after I do a water change the new salt water hasn't been mixed long enough and the minerals can sometimes "burn" corals. Another thing it could be is waste that the coral is producing and it isn't able to shed its "mucous" waste layer. What kind of powerheads do you have in the tank? You might want to UP the flow.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
They will generally do this because there is too much water flow or too much light in which it will not extend its polyps. If your numbers are good and stable and your acan coral still won’t extend its polyps when you attempt target feeding, then its likely the lights or water flow.
Speaking of stable parameters, how old is this tank ?
What test kits are you using?
How did you acclimate the coral to the tank ?

OP
OP
John.Thompson

John.Thompson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@John.Thompson it's hard to tell. How long has the tank been setup? Have you recently done a water change? The reason I ask is sometimes after I do a water change the new salt water hasn't been mixed long enough and the minerals can sometimes "burn" corals. Another thing it could be is waste that the coral is producing and it isn't able to shed its "mucous" waste layer. What kind of powerheads do you have in the tank? You might want to UP the flow.
About two months since setup. No major water changes recently and nothing with saltwater that hasn’t been sitting for a while. The power head is rather low. I will look into upping the flow. Light was mentioned in another response which would make sense as I’ve had the light on for longer extents of time since the coral went in.

OP
OP
John.Thompson

John.Thompson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will generally do this because there is too much water flow or too much light in which it will not extend its polyps. If your numbers are good and stable and your acan coral still won’t extend its polyps when you attempt target feeding, then its likely the lights or water flow.
Speaking of stable parameters, how old is this tank ?
What test kits are you using?
How did you acclimate the coral to the tank ?
Water flow is pretty low as I tried to stick with lower flow coral. Too much light would make a lot of sense as I’ve had the light on for longer extents of time since the coral went in. About two months since set up. Mainly just text strips and chemical tests(I know they aren’t the best thing in the world but it’s for daily check up). Salinity is done with a refractometer. I drip acclimated the coral this time around. I have recently found that that can cause more harm than help in some cases.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Acclimation may be an issue but im more concerned about status of water. Age of tank is a factor with water that needs to be stable and test strips are as reliable as API kits- They are not and known for false readings.
Moderate light and water flow is ideal and light plays an important role.
I would suggest regarding water to take a good water sample to a trusted LFS that does NOT use API kits and have them test for you and see what readings they come up with and to compare against your readings

OP
OP
John.Thompson

John.Thompson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea. I’ll give that a go. Thanks for the input. Sounds like the coral just needs more appropriate physical conditions( I’m hoping). I’ll get the water tested professionally.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back