Clear the Air on Goby/shrimp combos

  • Thread starter Thread starter HardyG
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

HardyG

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 11, 2016
Messages
301
Reaction score
104
Location
Columbus, Ga
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently set up a 15g nano with the intention of really getting to see a lot more life and ecosystem in my reef tank. One of the things everyone says is if that’s the goal, get a shrimp/goby pairing. I plan to have a CUC full of crabs and snails amongst other things and don’t want to buy all of that just to feed a shrimp down the road. I hear and read all of these horror stories about their shrimp constantly snapping their claws, bullying fish and other tank mates, and also eating entire CUCs. I also hear from others that they are the best tank mates ever.

Are the horror stories probably just the wrong species of shrimp, or is this actually a concern and I need to pick one or the other? (CUC or Shrimp)
 
A 15 gallon system doesn't afford the pistol shrimp very much real-estate. A pistol shrimp will probably have issues with crabs and other shrimp in such a small tank.
I have kept a pistol and YWG in a 30 gallon tank without aggression issues.
 
Why hasn’t anyone aquacultured Pistol Shrimp yet?

For all the popularity with this combo, one would expect the other half of it to be captive bred by now.

Does anyone have articles on the captive breeding of Alpheus sp?

I know a farm called Atoll Farm in Thailand and last time I talked to Ryan the owner, he said he’d consider breeding A. Bellulus or A. Randalli if he could get his hands on a bit of material.
 
I'm wondering if the stories of aggression issues you are hearing are due to an overcrowded tank leading to territorial issues.
 
My little candy cane pistol is a great little albeit secretive citizen. His partner is a hi fin goby. He was aquacultured. This little one is perfect for a 20 gallon and I think would be fine in a 15 with enough rock holes and sand.
 
I have the "wrong" species of tiger pistol, not sure exactly which it is though. My goby still hangs out in his burrow, they're definitely not as symbiotic as others I've seen, though. The goby did get kicked out during a recent tank transfer, but he's moved back in.
 
I'm wondering if the stories of aggression issues you are hearing are due to an overcrowded tank leading to territorial issues.
Very well could be. I hate that sometimes all you see is the negative side of experience.

My little candy cane pistol is a great little albeit secretive citizen. His partner is a hi fin goby. He was aquacultured. This little one is perfect for a 20 gallon and I think would be fine in a 15 with enough rock holes and sand.
I may see if I can find that from the retailer. Really what this duo, but not at the expense of my whole CUC lol!
I have the "wrong" species of tiger pistol, not sure exactly which it is though. My goby still hangs out in his burrow, they're definitely not as symbiotic as others I've seen, though. The goby did get kicked out during a recent tank transfer, but he's moved back in.
this is my fear :/ the wrong one
 
I have 2 candy cane shrimp with a yasha, along with several snails, 2 hermits, 2 emeralds and 3 other fish. It is a 32 Biocube and I have not seen them actively hunt anything, or go out of their way to get snappy at them. I hear them mainly at night, and when I do it is several cracks in a row. But I'm sure there are other stories out there that may differ. I love em! Good luck with it.
 
Very well could be. I hate that sometimes all you see is the negative side of experience.


I may see if I can find that from the retailer. Really what this duo, but not at the expense of my whole CUC lol!

this is my fear :/ the wrong one
There’s a post on here somewhere that lays the separate species out very clearly- but in essence, any tiger pistol shrimp that has actual straight lines is the wrong kind, you want “bubbly” looking markings.
Very well could be. I hate that sometimes all you see is the negative side of experience.


I may see if I can find that from the retailer. Really what this duo, but not at the expense of my whole CUC lol!

this is my fear :/ the wrong one
below is a quote from a separate thread detailing some of the shrimp that are often sold as tigers! The first one pictured is the correct species.
There are a lot of similar looking species of pistol shrimp that are more aggressive and often sold as tigers, even tho they are quite easy to tell apart.

tiger-pistol-shrimp.jpg

Good tiger. Remember overall bubbly and friendly markings.

images.jpeg

Bad tiger. Note overall markings, especially straight lines on the tail and clear legs.

INV005-00265-1920x1279.jpg

Bad tiger. Note markings on the cephalothorax, differently shaped tail markings and clear legs with yellow spots.
 
I have 2 candy cane shrimp with a yasha, along with several snails, 2 hermits, 2 emeralds and 3 other fish. It is a 32 Biocube and I have not seen them actively hunt anything, or go out of their way to get snappy at them. I hear them mainly at night, and when I do it is several cracks in a row. But I'm sure there are other stories out there that may differ. I love em! Good luck with it.
So just a moment ago, I watched the larger shrimp take a shot at the larger emerald crab who happened to be stepping over one of their burrows. Neither was phased, but it is the first time I'd seen one snap a tank mate.
 
There’s a post on here somewhere that lays the separate species out very clearly- but in essence, any tiger pistol shrimp that has actual straight lines is the wrong kind, you want “bubbly” looking markings.

below is a quote from a separate thread detailing some of the shrimp that are often sold as tigers! The first one pictured is the correct species.
I've gone through and differentiated a variety of species sold incorrectly as Tiger Pistols in a couple of threads [Edit: posted early on accident], but it was a little messy/spread in multiple posts throughout the thread - I don't know if someone has cleaned up my comments or posted their own on it, but the pics you shared are accurate:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/pistol-shrimp-killing-fish.1053041/
(Edit 2: Candy Cane Pistol Shrimp are much harder to mistake for other species and are much safer as a result).
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 32.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 7.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new