Closed brain coral help please

Brandonn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little discoloration on the top of my brain, is it new growth or bleaching? Please help, my stylophora does from bleaching not long ago which it was my first hard coral like that., water is good , light is 10” above water, 160watt mars aqua, whites on 15% for 5 hours blues on 40% for 6-7, Salinity is around 1.023-1.024. Am I over thinking? Lol all my softies and anemones are happy . Tanks been set up since March, it’s been in there for about 4 months and then recently the top is slightly turning white , white thatnpart is risen, maybe growth?

89E781EB-9946-49EE-9F4E-967B4AFB5126.jpeg 1C298068-01FD-4222-B13D-FF66C361DEDE.jpeg 6DA180B0-B377-41F4-B811-DF7C512151D6.jpeg 63195517-5105-427C-9501-C18DE8790B8F.jpeg 51BADDDD-FCAE-48F5-9231-A20E45741B7A.jpeg

Deep dive coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think your salt might be a little low now that you are adding sps and hard corals. Bring up to 1.026 slowly, also check your cal, alk, and mag. Make sure they are stable. Also you may want to up your white intensity slightly. Might not be receiving enough light at the depth.

OP
OP
B

Brandonn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think your salt might be a little low now that you are adding sps and hard corals. Bring up to 1.026 slowly, also check your cal, alk, and mag. Make sure they are stable. Also you may want to up your white intensity slightly. Might not be receiving enough light at the depth.
The tank is only 20 gallons, 16 inches tall , salinity is at 1.024 . I’ll have to check those levels you mentioned . This light is very intense so it’s not wise to run the whites high lol

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brains can be acclimated to a little higher light, but most are sitting in 200 PAR or less. Looks like he is top of your rock. I would move down. 166 watts on 20G is smoking hot, but you seem to understand this already.

People are gonna ask:
Months since cycle?
ALK?
NO3?
PO4?

Brains can be a bit picky. I find them more picky than acropora honestly.

OP
OP
B

Brandonn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brains can be acclimated to a little higher light, but most are sitting in 200 PAR or less. Looks like he is top of your rock. I would move down. 166 watts on 20G is smoking hot, but you seem to understand this already.

People are gonna ask:
Months since cycle?
ALK?
NO3?
PO4?

Brains can be a bit picky. I find them more picky than acropora honestly.
Tank was setup March 3rd, cycled in early May, had corals in since late May, been happy except those 2 lately. I test nitrites , nitrates, ph, ammonia. And all are good. I know I test to test the others

OP
OP
B

Brandonn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank was setup March 3rd, cycled in early May, had corals in since late May, been happy except those 2 lately. I test nitrites , nitrates, ph, ammonia. And all are good. I know I test to test the others

OP
OP
B

Brandonn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stylophora I tossed unfortunately, it was completely bleached, so the feliosi and the brain are the only 2 hard corals now.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandonn no offense but “good” is not a measurement. You shouldn’t have any nitrites or ammonia. 5 to 20ppm nitrate and 0.03-0.15ppm phosphate are what you should be aiming for. Your corals are looking a little pale.

OP
OP
B

Brandonn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandonn no offense but “good” is not a measurement. You shouldn’t have any nitrites or ammonia. 5 to 20ppm nitrate and 0.03-0.15ppm phosphate are what you should be aiming for. Your corals are looking a little pale.
I’m at work so I hate to be short , my levels were in the safe zones , nitrites and ammonia are 0 , nitrates are at 20 ppm. I haven’t tested for calcium, phosphates, and the other elements like that, I was told not too which sounds now like bad information .

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m at work so I hate to be short , my levels were in the safe zones , nitrites and ammonia are 0 , nitrates are at 20 ppm. I haven’t tested for calcium, phosphates, and the other elements like that, I was told not too which sounds now like bad information .
No problem :) Phosphate is critical for cellular recovery and function. The tests usually take about 15min unless you are using the Hanna checker. If you do very regular water changes then you won’t have to worry about cal, mag, alk.

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm too closed minded to help on closed brains...

But if I were to say smthg, its prob related to the amount of light and at what spectrum(s) are being used

Typically these coral are found off shore at depths of 20-50ft. Low light, lots of 420-460nm blues

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Brandonn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem :) Phosphate is critical for cellular recovery and function. The tests usually take about 15min unless you are using the Hanna checker. If you do very regular water changes then you won’t have to worry about cal, mag, alk.
I was told to do a water change by one store every 2-3 weeks, that’s what they do, I called them about the water changes and my corals and they said they don’t deal with hard and sps corals. Should I do a weekly 3 gallon change? I use RO water by the way.

OP
OP
B

Brandonn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm too closed minded to help on closed brains...

But if I were to say smthg, its prob related to the amount of light and at what spectrum(s) are being used
I’ started reefing back in March so I’m no Genius lol. I moved the brain down about 3 inches , the white light is running for 5 hours at 15% blues are for 8 hours , light is hung about 10” above water

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ started reefing back in March so I’m no Genius lol. I moved the brain down about 3 inches , the white light is running for 5 hours at 15% blues are for 8 hours , light is hung about 10” above water

Typically these coral are found off shore at depths of 20-50ft. Low light, lots of 420-460nm blues.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it’s a good time to invest in some test equipment and familiarise yourself with each test.

You are doing ok so far. Your softies are a little pale but otherwise look healthy in the picture. Cal, Alk, Mag can be a concern for you if you have a lot of coralline growth.

I test alkalinity daily. Cal and mag about once a month. PO4 and NO3 weekly.

In case nobody told you...you WILL kill some corals through accidents or negligence. Just try to learn from the experience.

OP
OP
B

Brandonn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it’s a good time to invest in some test equipment and familiarise yourself with each test.

You are doing ok so far. Your softies are a little pale but otherwise look healthy in the picture. Cal, Alk, Mag can be a concern for you if you have a lot of coralline growth.

I test alkalinity daily. Cal and mag about once a month. PO4 and NO3 weekly.

In case nobody told you...you WILL kill some corals through accidents or negligence. Just try to learn from the experience.
Friday I’m Buying all the test kits and shops I need to avoid this

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what’s your advice on water changes , weekly?
It depends on your nutrients and alk, cal, magnesium levels. My tanks a pretty low nutrient, if I did a water change weekly things would die from lack of nutrient.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%

Back