Closed loop pump inlet pipe: size to pump *at* pump or far end of "10D" straightway?

Which is better to avoid cavitation?

• Option A: 1" pipe for straightway

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Option B: 1.5" pipe for straightway

• Total voters

FlyingShawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

I'm experiencing cavitation on the Sicce SDC 9.0 pump running my closed loop even if I dial it down to minimum "throttle" on the controller. No bubbles in my flow meter downstream, just a popping/whirring/whooshing sound at the pump inlet. It's honestly not a surprise given my intake setup and the extremely-cramped space in the stand under my 52gal tank, so I'm working on a solution and need advice about a specific element of the design...

First, an overview of the current inlet pipe causing the problems... Water comes over the side of the tank through two 3/4" siphon lines and through a large Y to combine into a 1.5" pipe before passing through three 45 elbows and a series of reducers to match the Sicce's 1" inlet. The dual 3/4" pipes were a consequence of the tank layout (preferring a central intake despite the presence of a center brace, plus also wanting smaller pipes in-tank) and the idea to combine into a 1.5" master drain was an attempt to offset the negative flow effects of the elbows and minimize resistance.

1660167542522.png
1660166122514.png
2022-07-23 18.52.53.jpg
2022-07-23 17.34.01.jpg

This obviously hasn't worked, so now I'm considering a new strategy that's compatible with the "10D" rule of running a straight section of pipe 10x the pump's input diameter before any elbows. In my case that'd be 10", extending all the way to the house wall behind the tank, and would require more elbows (which is, of course, undesirable and what I was originally trying to avoid) so the pipe could double-back on itself. Here's my question: where do I put the reducer bushings to bring the pipe down to 1"? (please forgive the quality of the sketch)
2022-08-10 17.25.21-1.jpg

Option "A" would potentially have the advantage of smoother flow to the pump because the only restriction between the 10" run of 1" pipe and the pump would be a 1" MPT adapter, but would come with more overall flow resistance.
- on the other hand -
Option "B" would have less flow resistance by keeping the much larger 1.5" diameter for the 10" straight section, but would require multiple step-down reducers at the pump's mouth (like in the pictures above) or one big step in the form of a 1.5" slip to 1" MPT fitting (an uncommon part I'd have to order from FlexPVC).

What do you think? If it helps, my goal isn't to run this pump full-out: it's a replacement for a much noisier Iwaki pushing water through two Nu-Clear canisters and other in-line accessories (UV, heater, purigen, etc, all on valved bypass lines) and I'll likely want to run it at about 50% throttle. Thanks!

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option B with a minimal disturbance going into the pump is generally better for a pump, but with a threaded fitting at the pump I am not sure that really helps. I really think the issue is the over the edge siphons at the top. You are running a negative pressure there which is likely to cause some degassing of air out of the water and possibly even sucking in some outside air. Not sure what those caps are but I would question how air tight they are. At a minimum you are going to have trapped air in the upper part of those tees which is going to periodically get sucked into the pump. You could just try eliminating those and replace the tee and elbow arrangement with 2 90's or a 180 to start with. I think that might make it go away

OP
OP
F

FlyingShawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option B with a minimal disturbance going into the pump is generally better for a pump, but with a threaded fitting at the pump I am not sure that really helps.

Yeah, I would have much preferred a better method of connecting to the pump, but Sicce falsely advertised it as being compatible with solvent connections when it simply wasn't (the "slip" adapter for the pump would only allow 0.5" of contact depth: not nearly enough for a secure weld). My concern with Option B is the venturi effect of having the reduction from 1.5" to 1" so close to the pump itself:
1660244810986.png

(Source: https://www.dultmeier.com/videos/pump-cavitation-explanation.php, which I found in another R2R cavitation discussion thanks to a post by WVNed)

I really think the issue is the over the edge siphons at the top. You are running a negative pressure there which is likely to cause some degassing of air out of the water and possibly even sucking in some outside air. Not sure what those caps are but I would question how air tight they are. At a minimum you are going to have trapped air in the upper part of those tees which is going to periodically get sucked into the pump. You could just try eliminating those and replace the tee and elbow arrangement with 2 90's or a 180 to start with. I think that might make it go away

The caps are from FlexPVC and seal with o-rings, so no air is getting in that way:
1660245219042.png

That said, you're right that there's some air to purge from the tees after priming the siphon and first startup, but it only lasts for a few minutes and the sound is noticeably different compared to the cavitation I continue to hear from the pump inlet after the bubbles stop flowing.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Other.

Back