Cloud of smoke and gravel...

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching my 90 lagoon this afternoon which is 8 months old, has had a piece of KP live rock added to it at the 2 month stage, have heard, not seen, at least one pistol shrimp, do not have an excessive amount of sand rearranging, and several spaghetti worm (species unknown).
Tank is healthy and mixed reef LPS dominant.

While watching it just now there was a sudden ejection plume of sand and sand dust from the base of a large Nepthea which went all the way to the surface of the tank (illustration of the force) which exposed 2 spaghetti worms (to the Timor wrasse's delight) and then nothing.

this seems to have happened before, as a couple of Micromusa colonies have come up covered with sand recently.

any ideas what this might be?

Worth digging in the substrate to see what it is? Anyone have similar phenomenon??

Thanks

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would not dig for it. I would continue to observe it. is there any response to food?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS. - Also be aware it could be a 'bad shrimp' - as well - (not a pistol shrimp) - i.e. mantis. I had one sneak in that would click click every time food was put in the tank. I saw it once - and then never again (? did it die)?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back