Cloudy Eyes

Untamedrose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry for the not a great photo....his current home is in a back corner 50 photos later this is the best I got. :/

15940705_10211700495725495_7260040866255990944_n.jpg

this is a black capped jaw fish. I have not had him long about a week, and this is one of those .....hubby and son went into a LFS and picked out a fish(they did at least get some decent feed back from the store on what Not to get. As sons first pick was a surgeon HAHA ya daddy be driving the two hours back).

But his eyes look like an old dogs, Cataracts kinda thing. No idea how old but at 5 inches is full grown. He is eating, and acting normal, for how this species is suppose too. It doesnt seem to be bothering him, Im just a bit concerned. Any thoughts?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really tell what I'm looking at in that picture, but are both eyes cloudy like this? Or just one? Was it like this when they bought him?

OP
OP
Untamedrose

Untamedrose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes both eyes are clowdy, and yes ....hubby say he didnt notice it at the store though.

OP
OP
Untamedrose

Untamedrose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he's not blind...does react when I put my hand or camera in his face lol

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they swollen as well? I suspect flukes are in play here but I want you to look very carefully at the eyes. See if you can see any flukes in them. It would look about like this...
Diplostomum_spathaceum.jpg

If you can get him out, you can do a freshwater dip on him to confirm or rule out flukes.

Freshwater Dip: Provides temporary relief for Brooklynella, Flukes & "Black Ich", Marine Velvet disease (Amyloodinium); possibly even Ich & Uronema marinum (both unproven). Can be used to confirm the presence of Flukes.

How To Treat - Fill a bucket with RODI water, and use a heater to match the temperature to the water the fish is coming from. Aerate the water heavily for at least 30 minutes prior to doing the dip, then discontinue aeration while performing the dip. Fish aren’t overly pH sensitive for short durations like this, but you can squirt a little tank water into the dip just before the fish goes in to help bring it up.

Place the fish in the freshwater (FW) dip and observe closely. It is not unusual for them to freak out a little at first. Also, tangs are notorious for “playing dead” during a FW dip. The important thing is to watch their gills; they should be breathing heavily at all times during the dip. If breathing slows, it’s time to exit the dip. Dip the fish for no longer than 5 minutes. Multiple dips may be done, but it’s important to give your fish a day to recuperate in-between dips.

For flukes, use a dark (preferably black) bucket so you can see if tiny white worms fall out of the fish (especially out of the gills) at around the 3-4 minute mark. The worms will settle to the bottom, so you can use a flashlight to look for them there as well.

Pros - Provides temporary relief for a wide range of diseases in a chemical free environment. Can “buy you more time” until a proper treatment can be done.

Cons/Side Effects - Not a permanent “fix” for any disease, as FW dips are not potent enough to eradicate all of the parasites/worms afflicting the fish. Some fish can have an adverse reaction to a FW dip by appearing unable to maintain their equilibrium once returned to the aquarium. If this happens, hold the fish upright (using latex, nitrile or rubber gloves), and gently glide him through the water (to get saltwater flowing through the gills again). It is also a good idea to place the fish in an acclimation box until he appears “normal”.

OP
OP
Untamedrose

Untamedrose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They dont seem swollen, but species in general kinda big eyes anyway.....

I will keep an eye on him a see if I can ...get a better photo and look for flukes.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back