Cloudy hospital tank

gonefishing2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I am relatively new to fish keeping, but have been doing fairly well so far. I have a 55gal with 2 baby koi (less than 3 inches) that will eventually go to a pond, 1 black Moore, 2 clown plecos, 4 mystery snails, and a handful of baby shrimp. This weekend a friend gave me 2 additional baby koi and 1 has what appears to be mouth rot. I have a set up a 10 gal hospital tank that was previously cucled and has some previously used gravel substrate, one plant, and a bubbler. Just today I dosed with Kanaplex and and polyguard. In just a few hours the water has turned very cloudy. My water parameters semi good. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, small nitrates and ph around 7.2. I really want to make sure these fish make it (one appears completely healthy). Any advice? Not sure about doing a water change with the meds in place.

Fishology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can help but this, site is more for saltwater tanks, it may be going threw its algae stage we’re new bacteria are beginning to grow it will most likely clear within a week or so. You may want to do a water change, what filter do you have it may be also bad filtration.

OP
OP
G

gonefishing2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can help but this, site is more for saltwater tanks, it may be going threw its algae stage we’re new bacteria are beginning to grow it will most likely clear within a week or so. You may want to do a water change, what filter do you have it may be also bad filtration.
Hi,

thank you for your reply. I guess I did not realize that this was geared towards saltwater. Right now I have removed the filtration per the instructions for the medication. Typically it just has a small, disposable, carbon filter.

Fishology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

thank you for your reply. I guess I did not realize that this was geared towards saltwater. Right now I have removed the filtration per the instructions for the medication. Typically it just has a small, disposable, carbon filter.
For a quarantine I would use a sling filter it’s easier to run or remove the filter pads and use aquarium floss it’s cheaper and last longer

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi,
I am relatively new to fish keeping, but have been doing fairly well so far. I have a 55gal with 2 baby koi (less than 3 inches) that will eventually go to a pond, 1 black Moore, 2 clown plecos, 4 mystery snails, and a handful of baby shrimp. This weekend a friend gave me 2 additional baby koi and 1 has what appears to be mouth rot. I have a set up a 10 gal hospital tank that was previously cucled and has some previously used gravel substrate, one plant, and a bubbler. Just today I dosed with Kanaplex and and polyguard. In just a few hours the water has turned very cloudy. My water parameters semi good. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, small nitrates and ph around 7.2. I really want to make sure these fish make it (one appears completely healthy). Any advice? Not sure about doing a water change with the meds in place.
Goldfish are scavengers and are messy housekeepers. Change water and add Carbon either in path of filter water or ADD a hang on back power filter which will help clear it up

OP
OP
G

gonefishing2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both. I will get some floss to see if that does the trick. I was told that carbon would filter out the medication. Fingers crossed that will do the trick. Tested my water again today and still all parameters are in good ranges.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

While this site is mostly about marine aquariums, I've worked with freshwater fish for 60+ years.

I presume the cloudiness you are seeing is whitish?
Does it also look cloudy when looking down on the tank from the top?
Is the water foamy as well?
Can you post a picture of the koi?
What test kit are you using to test ammonia?

Jay

OP
OP
G

gonefishing2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,
It was milky white yesterday. Today it does have a bit of a green/brown hue. And yes, cloudy from the top as well, but no foam.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not used PolyGuard, but it contains some different furans which I think tend to discolor aquarium water - usually a yellow/orange/brown color.

Jay

OP
OP
G

gonefishing2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, ok. I will continue to monitor. Right now the fish seem pretty happy and active. Thanks everyone for giving some advice and guidance on this!!

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 44 61.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back