Cloudy tank

JFleur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is extremely cloudy... what could be some reasons for this?

15664837996974520760683460787006.jpg

COreef8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you added new sand, or stirred something up, it is most likely a bacterial bloom. This can happen when there are excess nutrients in the tank, and the filtering equipment is not pulling it out quickly enough, typically new tanks.

If it is a new setup, it will go away on it's own. If it's not, you could go about solving this in 2 ways: go after the bacteria, or remove the nutrients that the bacteria are feeding on. A UV sterilizer would clear up the water very quickly. Increasing water changes, more aggressive skimming, algae filtration, and activated carbon will all help decrease the nutrients.

OP
OP
J

JFleur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you added new sand, or stirred something up, it is most likely a bacterial bloom. This can happen when there are excess nutrients in the tank, and the filtering equipment is not pulling it out quickly enough, typically new tanks.

If it is a new setup, it will go away on it's own. If it's not, you could go about solving this in 2 ways: go after the bacteria, or remove the nutrients that the bacteria are feeding on. A UV sterilizer would clear up the water very quickly. Increasing water changes, more aggressive skimming, algae filtration, and activated carbon will all help decrease the nutrients.
It is a fairly new tank, i was going to do a 10g water change tonight to see if that helps.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a hunch- Location. I see your tank is at or near a window and there is more than enough UV from indirect light to start an algae bloom.
Siphon a little water, Add carbon to your filter (ChemiPure is perfect ), reduce white lights and black out sides of your tank facing window with Wmart construction paper at .97 cents and is water resistant.

OP
OP
J

JFleur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hunch- Location. I see your tank is at or near a window and there is more than enough UV from indirect light to start an algae bloom.
Siphon a little water, Add carbon to your filter (ChemiPure is perfect ), reduce white lights and black out sides of your tank facing window with Wmart construction paper at .97 cents and is water resistant.
The window blinds are always closed in that window, i do use a carbon/phosphate bag along with filter floss and blue filter on top

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back