Cloudy water after vibrant dose

brycenelson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I have been battling hair and bubble algae for months with no prevail so I decided to add vibrant to my tank. I did the recommended 1 ml per 10 gallons and I added it 2 days ago. After 12 hours my water got very cloudy and still is very cloudy just wondering if anyone else who has used vibrant has experienced this or knows what is going on.

55CE6FDE-015F-48D8-8253-7C347813451D.jpeg

BASEDVXO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you test your water parameters ? Usually you want to go slow with cleaners like vibrant I usually only dose 1ml - 2 on my tank .

If parameters are okay check all equipment could be skimmer over flowing if not skimmer then it could be snails spawning and just a coincidence. If you can’t find out what caused it a good water change might help or turning on your skimmer.

OP
OP
B

brycenelson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my parameters are in check I don’t have a skimmer just a hang on the back filter I have been changing out the filter floss daily on that since I added the vibrant.

BASEDVXO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold off on the vibrant for a while would probably recommend a water change just to be on the safe side and don’t mess with it as long as your parameters are okay should be nothing to worry about . Only thing is why are you dosing vibrant for are you fighting some kind of algae?

OP
OP
B

brycenelson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold off on the vibrant for a while would probably recommend a water change just to be on the safe side and don’t mess with it as long as your parameters are okay should be nothing to worry about . Only thing is why are you dosing vibrant for are you fighting some kind of algae?
I had a big bloom of hair algae and bubble algae about 2 months ago I have added more cuc and more algae eating fish but nothing was touching the bubble algae (even my emerald crabs wanted nothing to do with it). My snails and crabs are eating the hair algae but the algae was growing faster than they could handle it
Parameters
.11 phos
15.6 nitrate
calcium 440
mag 1300
alk 9.4

BASEDVXO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got cha . bubble algae sucks I've heard of people able to get it out with vibrant but it will take a while I would dose only a fraction of what the bottle says and start from there . also probably wouldn't hurt to keep tabs on that nitrate seem kinda high .

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant is an algaecide, it killed your algae, at least some of them. Now you have lots of organic matter in your tank on which bacteria are feeding. I hope you have a good skimmer as I have a feeling that oxygen is consumed rapidly in your tank.

OP
OP
B

brycenelson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got cha . bubble algae sucks I've heard of people able to get it out with vibrant but it will take a while I would dose only a fraction of what the bottle says and start from there . also probably wouldn't hurt to keep tabs on that nitrate seem kinda high .
yea my nitrate and phosphate always run a little high. I think it has to do with only having a hob filter and no skimmer but I cant change that now.

OP
OP
B

brycenelson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant is an algaecide, it killed your algae, at least some of them. Now you have lots of organic matter in your tank on which bacteria are feeding. I hope you have a good skimmer as I have a feeling that oxygen is consumed rapidly in your tank.
I have no skimmer i think im going to do a big water change to remove that organic matter

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back