Icp test results

gowlers1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Could someone help me interpret these test results? What is going wrong. I lost alot of corals after the tank was up for 6 months and the water went very cloudy.

Sent off an icp test about a month ago. The tank has got better since but still a little cloudy and lost most of the corals and anemones.

Is it something I am missing in my dosing? Thanks

Screenshot_20240221_180638_SmartReef.jpg Screenshot_20240221_180649_SmartReef.jpg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should supplement iodine, it's important to all inverts in the tank including corals. How are you calcium and magnesium levels? I don't see those in the test results. Also how are your standard parameters? Salinity, temp, nitrate, ammonia, ph, alk?

OP
OP
G

gowlers1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my most recent test results using home test kits

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240221_225541.jpg
    Screenshot_20240221_225541.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 31

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
overall looks fine. Temp you can afford to raise a bit, you generally want 78 degrees F or so. nothing in your tests show reason for cloudy water. Do you have sufficient surface agitation for oxygenation? In your situation I'd do water changes to alleviate the cloudiness and any contaminants not covered by tests.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things that stand out to me right away are the 0 Iodine and 1.75 mg/l (aka ppm) Phosphate.

Iodine should be around 64μg per @Randy Holmes-Farley trace Elements post from a couple weeks ago. Though it is shaded pink meaning something like "may be beneficial".

The high Phosphate may be stressing things out.

OP
OP
G

gowlers1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a reefer 250 with two maxspect 2k gyres and a 4000lph pump running on high flow so surface agitation is good. I have dosed iodine today after receiving the results so that should hopefully help.

There was alot of death very quickly which I suppose could have caused the cloudines but it is still kinda cloudy after about 6-7 water changes over the last 1-2 months.

I have lost most of the corals such as the torch, frogspawn, acros and also the btas but the zoas, clove polyps, zenia and a lobophylia are thriving which is confusing.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a reefer 250 with two maxspect 2k gyres and a 4000lph pump running on high flow so surface agitation is good. I have dosed iodine today after receiving the results so that should hopefully help.

There was alot of death very quickly which I suppose could have caused the cloudines but it is still kinda cloudy after about 6-7 water changes over the last 1-2 months.

I have lost most of the corals such as the torch, frogspawn, acros and also the btas but the zoas, clove polyps, zenia and a lobophylia are thriving which is confusing.
Cloudiness makes me think bacteria bloom...

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost alot of corals after the tank was up for 6 months and the water went very cloudy.

Sent off an icp test about a month ago. The tank has got better since but still a little cloudy and lost most of the corals and anemones.
I think the issues here are separate from and more fundamental than tweaking values reported on ICP. I think it's unlikely that the ICP values will tell you why you had a bacterial bloom/rapid coral die-off.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should supplement iodine, it's important to all inverts in the tank including corals

I do not believe there is evidence for that claim, and in its broadest sense I think it is almost certainly incorrect, but I know many people make such claims.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Could someone help me interpret these test results? What is going wrong. I lost alot of corals after the tank was up for 6 months and the water went very cloudy.

Is it something I am missing in my dosing? Thanks

Screenshot_20240221_180638_SmartReef.jpg Screenshot_20240221_180649_SmartReef.jpg

Unfortunately, I believe icp is rarely able to identify the causative agent in coral deaths, probably because it most often is not a chemistry problem at all, or perhaps arises from a rapid change in something like alk that is not captured in any single test.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not believe there is evidence for that claim, and in its broadest sense I think it is almost certainly incorrect, but I know many people make such claims.
You’re the boss! I just know from
Experience that my Xenia enjoys iodine, and from secondhand advice that crustaceans have an easier time molting in its presence

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 115 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.1%
Back