Clove Coral not opening ?

boumbo25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got those 2 plugs 2 days ago. It wont open yet. All other coral are good.
I have good flow, 2 prime HD in a 55g.

Aren't they suppose to be super easy coral ? Like Pulsing Xenia easy ?
IMG_2988.JPG
IMG_1144.JPG
IMG_2036.JPG

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try moving to low flow and light. Most of the fast growing corals than can become pests seem to start out best there and then work their way up as they become established.

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Others can comment, but with leathers especially toadstools you need carbon. They give off toxic chemicals and the carbon neutralizes it. They also shed and that puts more toxins in the water. Many coals don’t like it. Depending on your flow and weekly water changes you can get lucky but it will catch up. With those corals you should either use carbon, remove them, or only do leathers.

OP
OP
boumbo25

boumbo25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Others can comment, but with leathers especially toadstools you need carbon. They give off toxic chemicals and the carbon neutralizes it. They also shed and that puts more toxins in the water. Many coals don’t like it. Depending on your flow and weekly water changes you can get lucky but it will catch up. With those corals you should either use carbon, remove them, or only do leathers.
Ok. I’ve had them for over a year. I do frequent water change. I Guess I’m lucky or you are a fondamental

Ksturg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rainbow cloves I have won’t open unless they are in almost no flow at all. I also have them in shaded area if the tank.When I first got them it took a week or better for them to open.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added a few different frags of cloves and it took them at least a week to fully open, maybe two weeks. I thought they were goners. By the looks of it, yours will be fine, just give them time.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back