Clown Eggs and Anemone

tj51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clarkii clown has laid her 2nd batch of eggs (I was out of town when the first hatched). I have a rather large RBTA and she lays her eggs on the rock where the anemone "hangs." This batch of eggs was laid on the part of the rock that the anemone leans on, and it covers the eggs most of the time. Did she lay them in that spot for the egg's protection, if not, can the anemone cause damage by "leaning" on the eggs?

Got plenty of rotifers, brine eggs, and the fry tank is set-up, just waiting for the fry to hatch.

Tj

mltascp

Alabama Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should be fine. She lays them there for protection. Our lays hers under the rock right behind the anemone. We can't even see them when the anemone is fully inflated. Good luck raising your babies. A good book on raising cf is "Clownfishes" by Joyce Wilkerson
Monica

OP
OP
tj51

tj51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thx, waiting on allowance to buy Wilkerson's book. I especially look forward to reading about her diy "larvae snagger"

mydraal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From experience the tile method is a whole lot easier then using the snagger. My clowns bite the tentacles on their nem. just so they can lay the eggs right behind it.

OP
OP
tj51

tj51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From experience the tile method is a whole lot easier then using the snagger. My clowns bite the tentacles on their nem. just so they can lay the eggs right behind it.

tried the tile method, but the clown wanted nothing to do with it. Speaking of nems mine was so worn out from being bitten, jumped on, etc. it was more glad to see the eggs then momma clown

dfurbee

Nancy Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is so strange!! My clarki just laid her eggs behind where the nem rubs on the rock! Will the fry live with other fish in the tank? Or should I try and get them out? Thanks, Deb

OP
OP
tj51

tj51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is so strange!! My clarki just laid her eggs behind where the nem rubs on the rock! Will the fry live with other fish in the tank? Or should I try and get them out? Thanks, Deb

No, you must either get them out on the night they hatch. You can use a larvae snagger (see posts above) or the night they are supposed to hatch, turn off all current and lights. Every 15 - 30 minutes check with a flashlight with a red lens to see if they have hatched. If and when they do, hold a white flashlight over the water and they will come to it. Use a container, and have them gently flow into the container and take them to your fry tank. However, you must have live rotifers ready, as on day 2 or 3 (after they have eaten their egg yoke) they will be hungry and that is what they eat. Then you need brine eggs, as about a week after rotifers, they go to live baby brine.

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/marine/clowns/information/breeding-clown-fish-part-one.php

Last edited:

dfurbee

Nancy Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you must either get them out on the night they hatch. You can use a larvae snagger (see posts above) or the night they are supposed to hatch, turn off all current and lights. Every 15 - 30 minutes check with a flashlight with a red lens to see if they have hatched. If and when they do, hold a white flashlight over the water and they will come to it. Use a container, and have them gently flow into the container and take them to your fry tank. However, you must have live rotifers ready, as on day 2 or 3 (after they have eaten their egg yoke) they will be hungry and that is what they eat. Then you need brine eggs, as about a week after rotifers, they go to live baby brine.

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/marine/clowns/information/breeding-clown-fish-part-one.php

Sounds like the other tank inhabitants will have a feast, I do not have a fry tank or rotifers :squigglemouth: Thanks for the response, Deb

mydraal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tried the tile method, but the clown wanted nothing to do with it. Speaking of nems mine was so worn out from being bitten, jumped on, etc. it was more glad to see the eggs then momma clown

Mine went crazy when I first had the tile up too. They'll get used to it. Try to put it right where they lay their eggs if that's possable. I pull the tile right before lights go out on hatch night, place the tile in hatch tank, and half an hour later I'm looking at 1000+ fry all over the tank. Doesn't get any easier than that and it reduces the risk of the fry being damaged in any way. I now can put a tile in and even if it's crooked or not right up against the rock they still lay their eggs right on it.

OP
OP
tj51

tj51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine went crazy when I first had the tile up too. They'll get used to it. Try to put it right where they lay their eggs if that's possable. I pull the tile right before lights go out on hatch night, place the tile in hatch tank, and half an hour later I'm looking at 1000+ fry all over the tank. Doesn't get any easier than that and it reduces the risk of the fry being damaged in any way. I now can put a tile in and even if it's crooked or not right up against the rock they still lay their eggs right on it.

I have a rock that has a big hole in the middle of it. That is where the nem hangs out, with his big foot at the bottom. There is no room for a tile and the clowns want to lay on the crater of the rock. After this batch, I'll give it another try. I even tried a flower pot, but the " boss" just kind of looked in it and swam past. I put her favorite food in it, but to no avail.

OP
OP
tj51

tj51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm going to try the tile method again, but I was given the other piece of tile and the one I want to use is an extra tile from our floor (sandstone) how can I know if there are any chemical preseratives on the tile that might cause damage to my tank?

Thx

mydraal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to try the tile method again, but I was given the other piece of tile and the one I want to use is an extra tile from our floor (sandstone) how can I know if there are any chemical preseratives on the tile that might cause damage to my tank?

Thx

That's what I used, an extra piece of tile from tiling my kitchen. I didn't have to worry about my tile as it's ceramic with a finished top side. I wouldn't think your sandstone would be a problem but if your uncomfortable using it, grab a piece of tile from lowes, there's always opened boxes, I'm sure you could get one cheap.The only thing I could find on sandstone was that it is mostly quartz, feldspar, and lithic fragments.And that other minerals also occur, depending on the mineralogical maturity of the sandstone. I'm just not willing to research exactly what that means lol.

OP
OP
tj51

tj51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I used, an extra piece of tile from tiling my kitchen. I didn't have to worry about my tile as it's ceramic with a finished top side. I wouldn't think your sandstone would be a problem but if your uncomfortable using it, grab a piece of tile from lowes, there's always opened boxes, I'm sure you could get one cheap.The only thing I could find on sandstone was that it is mostly quartz, feldspar, and lithic fragments.And that other minerals also occur, depending on the mineralogical maturity of the sandstone. I'm just not willing to research exactly what that means lol.

Thanks! I did go to Lowes and buy the only natural stone unfinished piece of tile they had, and then put it in boiling water, however momma clown beat me to it and her 3d batch exactly where the 2nd was.

mydraal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I did go to Lowes and buy the only natural stone unfinished piece of tile they had, and then put it in boiling water, however momma clown beat me to it and her 3d batch exactly where the 2nd was.

Night after they hatch just place new tile right in front of where she lays the eggs if possible. You'll want 2 pieces of tile because you'll need a tile to replace the one you take out. Fyi I had to jam a piece of rock against mine to keep my clown from moving the tile. Finally got it right where I needed it and waited for her to lay the eggs. She laid them over the nem. instead of under it where she had been laying eggs all along :). Doesn't feel good being outsmarted by a fish :). I kept the tile there for a month just so they got used to it. Went to look at my tank one afternoon to see she finally used the tile and she's been using it ever since.

Back