Clown fish and Reef for beginners

fishlover95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
any recommendations for clown fish food and the best compatible fish?
also what reef should i add first as a beginner?

i have Evo Fluval 13.5G tank, been running for a month and half now. I added 2 emerald crabs first and 1 turbo snail and 1 other snail -don't remember it's name currently- . I just added my first fish yesterday, 2 Ocellaris clownfish. Thee seem very happy and healthy i can tell.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
any recommendations for clown fish food and the best compatible fish?
also what reef should i add first as a beginner?

i have Evo Fluval 13.5G tank, been running for a month and half now. I added 2 emerald crabs first and 1 turbo snail and 1 other snail -don't remember it's name currently- . I just added my first fish yesterday, 2 Ocellaris clownfish. Thee seem very happy and healthy i can tell.
A 13.5 gallon tank is pretty small already, not sure if I would add any other fish. I think I have seen certain gobies suggested?

But yeah, clowns may be pretty small when you get them, but they can grow big pretty quickly and when they do, they could be so aggressive as to attack other fish in that small of an aquarium.

As for corals (I presume that is what you mean when you say 'reef'), it depends on your preference. There is no specific coral that works better or worse with clownfish. There are easier corals to keep though, such as xenia and stuff, but they can quickly take over an aquarium and be a 'pest', though of course if you like them everywhere then they are not.

OP
OP
fishlover95

fishlover95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 13.5 gallon tank is pretty small already, not sure if I would add any other fish. I think I have seen certain gobies suggested?

But yeah, clowns may be pretty small when you get them, but they can grow big pretty quickly and when they do, they could be so aggressive as to attack other fish in that small of an aquarium.

As for corals (I presume that is what you mean when you say 'reef'), it depends on your preference. There is no specific coral that works better or worse with clownfish. There are easier corals to keep though, such as xenia and stuff, but they can quickly take over an aquarium and be a 'pest', though of course if you like them everywhere then they are not.
i was planning to have 1 royal grammy or 1 firefish after a while.

Thank you :)
i'm planning also on adding some corals this weekend, so..

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend slowing down a bit, easy to get caught up in the excitement but small tank parameters swing very easily. I would suggest checking out some of the Nano build threads below to see what catches your eye. Also the Live Aquaria website does a pretty good job of describing compatible fish/corals/inverts.

Good luck.

Back