Clown fish - devils or angels...?

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to get a discussion started and hope provide insight into the above topic....

I read very often when we (as a collective) suggest to new aquarists "don't start with clown fish, that are mean as damsels..." etc.,

My experience is the following: in 4 of 4 examples, I have added 2 young CB ocelliaris to tanks at an early stage, and in 3 of 3 examples (heater malfunction with one pair) that have bonded up, hosted Duncans or plate corals or nems, and are perfect tank mates in their community.

Alternatively I have a mistake purchase of a Biota cinnamon (now 2 years old) that I cannot catch out of my main display, kicks up sand all over the tank and rips into the back of my hand like a mini piranha, but leaves the rest of the community alone. It is the only fish that I cannot entice into a box trap.

so am I just lucky with pairs of young CB ocellaris? or can these go rogue too. I do know I would NEVER try another cinnamon, tomato, clarki... etc.,

So is "get a pair of young ocellaris early in a stocking" a safe recommendation. It is hard for me not to....

What say you all...?

76EC50D7-A8E9-4B94-B6CF-6BDC644D61BB.jpeg

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought fish and coral from many people over the past two years. The only fish that I've ever seen going after their owners (hands) have all been clownfish. Skunks excepted, of course.

OP
OP
bnord

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought fish and coral from many people over the past two years. The only fish that I've ever seen going after their owners (hands) have all been clownfish. Skunks excepted, of course.
I don't mind the dive bombing of my hand, its how are they in the community... and I have had good luck so far with ocellaris

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I understand. In that case, I'd say that yes, a pair of young ocellaris, in a tank with sufficient space and hiding spaces to avoid territorial aggresion with other fish, can be considered to be "community fish".

I've definitely seen larger females in a mated pair go after other fish in a few tanks, though.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve not seen aggression with other fish with my paired OC’s, but if they see a human hand in the water, it’s like giving a Rottweiler the attack command.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine for quite a few years. Never attacked any other fish, and never attacked my hand. They swim all over the tank, but sleep in the top corner of the tank.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back