Clown Pairs

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. My new tank (13.5 gallon) has almost completed cycling and I am ready to add my first fish in. I was thinking of getting one clown to start off with, and eventually adding a second clown a month or so later. I do like Ocellaris clowns, and have also considered a Fancy Snowflake clown and Wyoming White clown. Since I would be pairing up my first clown, I wanted to know if it would be a good idea to pair it with a different type of clown. For example, would an Ocellaris clown get along with a Snowflake clown? Or do pairs need to be the same breed?

Also, would it be better to add them into the tank at the same time? Or is it okay to stage the addition of the second clown? I just want to ensure that they get along and I am making the right choices, I would appreciate some advice. Thanks!

thatindonesianreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as they’re both ocellaris you should be fine.
Keep in mind that one of the clowns has to be bigger.
Please correct me if i’m wrong

OP
OP
Ollie67

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as they’re both ocellaris you should be fine.
Keep in mind that one of the clowns has to be bigger.
Please correct me if i’m wrong
I think that is what I heard as well. My main question was can you have a pair that is not the same breed, such as ocellaris and snowflake.

thatindonesianreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is what I heard as well. My main question was can you have a pair that is not the same breed, such as ocellaris and snowflake.
Yes
Ocellaris and snowflakes are the same kind just different coloration. Snowflakes still fall under the ocellaris species so the two should be fine. I’ve seen people do this

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have a black storm clown with a regular colored occelaris pair. If you are getting a pair I would recommend getting either a pair that have already bonded or buying juveniles not as big of an issue size wise. But one will have to be slightly bigger than the other because that will be your female.

OP
OP
Ollie67

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have a black storm clown with a regular colored occelaris pair. If you are getting a pair I would recommend getting either a pair that have already bonded or buying juveniles not as big of an issue size wise. But one will have to be slightly bigger than the other because that will be your female.
Sounds good, thank you for the information! It's good to know I can get them along.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. My new tank (13.5 gallon) has almost completed cycling and I am ready to add my first fish in. I was thinking of getting one clown to start off with, and eventually adding a second clown a month or so later. I do like Ocellaris clowns, and have also considered a Fancy Snowflake clown and Wyoming White clown. Since I would be pairing up my first clown, I wanted to know if it would be a good idea to pair it with a different type of clown. For example, would an Ocellaris clown get along with a Snowflake clown? Or do pairs need to be the same breed?

Also, would it be better to add them into the tank at the same time? Or is it okay to stage the addition of the second clown? I just want to ensure that they get along and I am making the right choices, I would appreciate some advice. Thanks!
I'm not into the designer clowns and which species they are but you can't mix species in a small tank. So as long as its two ocellaris the variant doesn't matter. Also make sure they are sized differently. If you want a trouble free tank wait a couple years and get another much smaller one.

OP
OP
Ollie67

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not into the designer clowns and which species they are but you can't mix species in a small tank. So as long as its two ocellaris the variant doesn't matter. Also make sure they are sized differently. If you want a trouble free tank wait a couple years and get another much smaller one.
Thank you! I actually ended up getting a snowflake ocellaris pair, they've been doing great now for almost two months! But that makes sense, I was considering two variants of ocellaris, so that's good to know for the future!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back