ltmsc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ED9B7B6E-EB99-42BF-A907-B22DAD709244.jpeg
A3834F7B-630B-4944-B264-2C2F4173A6B1.jpeg
I just noticed a “sack” behind the right gill on my female clownfish. She is staying closer to her spot in the tank. I have had her for 5 years and she just laid eggs a week ago. No new fish added, all other fish are acting normal. I don’t see any parasite looking things.
Anybody have any ideas?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you added anything to the tank recently? It could be Brooklynella or Oodinium as they attack the gills first and can cause a mucus. Do you have a qt tank set up? Best bet would be to move her over and keep observation. Or have you added any new corals recently that she may have brushed up against and is now swelling up?@Humblefish #reefsquad

OP
OP
L

ltmsc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I do have a qt running I can put her in. The last coral added was probably a month ago. I also run a 50watt UV on this tank to keep any bad critters at bay.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I do have a qt running I can put her in. The last coral added was probably a month ago. I also run a 50watt UV on this tank to keep any bad critters at bay.
Have you added any new fish that may have brought something in with them?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an infection on the gill, do you have a quarantine set-up? This one would need an acriflavin bath, followed by kanaplex, metroplex, and furan 2 in the quarantine for 14 days.

OP
OP
L

ltmsc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies.
So any idea why the fish would get an infection?

Bug235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns get a bump looking zit every once and a while and it goes away with no treatment, I feed my fish two to three times a day, fat fish are usually healthier, just my experience not based on scientific study

OP
OP
L

ltmsc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the replies. I didn’t move the fish to QT yesterday because I didn’t want to stress her and I wanted to see what today brings. Today brings a normal acting fish with the swelling gone and no sign of the infection. I think she may have gotten stressed because she had just laid wages the week before. She had stopped laying eggs for a few months, so this last clutch was a new start.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the replies. I didn’t move the fish to QT yesterday because I didn’t want to stress her and I wanted to see what today brings. Today brings a normal acting fish with the swelling gone and no sign of the infection. I think she may have gotten stressed because she had just laid wages the week before. She had stopped laying eggs for a few months, so this last clutch was a new start.
Sounds like a good time to feed her some food with Selcon to boost her immune system.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back