Clown in QT not eating

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not no, I generally have my mysis sucked into a syringe, would I just chop while frozen in cubes and then defrost?

I defrost them, put them on a small plate, and then cut them into halves or thirds with a single edge razor blade.

Jay

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds weird but have you tried micro pellets / extra small? I picked up two clowns about 18 and 12 months ago. Both doing great now but first one did not eat for about a week at which point I tried micro pellets and it ate. Second, I went to micro pellets after 2 days and he ate. These guys were 2”+ at the time so no reason this should have been the case. It sounds dumb but might be worth a shot.

OP
OP
callen.haines

callen.haines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds weird but have you tried micro pellets / extra small? I picked up two clowns about 18 and 12 months ago. Both doing great now but first one did not eat for about a week at which point I tried micro pellets and it ate. Second, I went to micro pellets after 2 days and he ate. These guys were 2”+ at the time so no reason this should have been the case. It sounds dumb but might be worth a shot.
I did try much smaller pellets and there was no luck, he just ate some split pellets 2nd day in a row so things are looking up, I'm sure he'd try the smaller ones now

OP
OP
callen.haines

callen.haines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep cutting the pellets. Did you try cutting the mysis into smaller pieces also?
Jay
Hey jay, all is well with the clown he is eating and doing well. That white tag doesn't seem to be getting any worse or any better its just kind of there. Should I be worried or are you still thinking a minor injury?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey jay, all is well with the clown he is eating and doing well. That white tag doesn't seem to be getting any worse or any better its just kind of there. Should I be worried or are you still thinking a minor injury?

Yes, it looks like an injury to me. No parasites look like that, and if it isn't getting larger or changing color, then it probably is not infected with bacteria. As long as the fish is eating enough food, I would just observe it for now. I always hold a suspect fish for at least 14 days after symptoms have subsided before moving it out of quarantine.

Jay

OP
OP
callen.haines

callen.haines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay fish is doing well and eating, the white tag is still there not changing. My concern is this white dot on his side. To be honest I neglected dosing anything and its probably been there for about a week now with no signs of spreading or falling off. Here is a picture if you have any ideas. This fish seems to be nothing but problems :anxious-face-with-sweat:

OP
OP
callen.haines

callen.haines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic 1 is same old tag near gills pic 2 is new white dot

Attachments

• IMG_2370.png
    IMG_2370.png
    542.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2372.png
    IMG_2372.png
    411.3 KB · Views: 18

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic 1 is same old tag near gills pic 2 is new white dot

That just looks like mucus to me - it is too large to be ich and flukes don't look like that. If it doesn't grow larger over time (which could indicate a bacterial infection) I don't think it is anything to worry about.

Jay

OP
OP
callen.haines

callen.haines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That just looks like mucus to me - it is too large to be ich and flukes don't look like that. If it doesn't grow larger over time (which could indicate a bacterial infection) I don't think it is anything to worry about.

Jay
I kind of want to put him with my other clown, do you think I would be fine considering he hasn't got ick or anything? I feel the better more mature water might be nicer for him

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kind of want to put him with my other clown, do you think I would be fine considering he hasn't got ick or anything? I feel the better more mature water might be nicer for him
It should be ok from a disease standpoint, but any time you mix clowns, there is a risk of fighting.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back