Sick Clownfish Won’t Eat

mjaquarium02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of clowns who were acting so strange. I had them for 9 months now and i noticed they were swimming weird, breathing super fast, and they weren’t eating. Long story short I now have them in quarantine and added copper. They’re doing soooo much better. I am so relieved to see them getting into the rhythm of things again. The thing is that my male clown is barely starting to eat again. I’m feeding them mysis shrimp so whenever I add it, he tries to eat it but spits it out… I would like to think he does eat the smaller pieces (or maybe he also spits it out but I can’t see it) My female clown hasn’t eaten at all. It’s about to be a week of them not eating and I am frankly getting worried.

I know that the copper can also decrease appetite but they’re both pigs. I had them in quarantine when I first got them and they were still eating like crazy at that time. But now I guess since they’re actually “sick” they really have a loss of appetite. What foods should I get to entice them and maybe get them to eat again… any experience with this?

Thanks!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of clowns who were acting so strange. I had them for 9 months now and i noticed they were swimming weird, breathing super fast, and they weren’t eating. Long story short I now have them in quarantine and added copper. They’re doing soooo much better. I am so relieved to see them getting into the rhythm of things again. The thing is that my male clown is barely starting to eat again. I’m feeding them mysis shrimp so whenever I add it, he tries to eat it but spits it out… I would like to think he does eat the smaller pieces (or maybe he also spits it out but I can’t see it) My female clown hasn’t eaten at all. It’s about to be a week of them not eating and I am frankly getting worried.

I know that the copper can also decrease appetite but they’re both pigs. I had them in quarantine when I first got them and they were still eating like crazy at that time. But now I guess since they’re actually “sick” they really have a loss of appetite. What foods should I get to entice them and maybe get them to eat again… any experience with this?

Thanks!
Rods brand fish eggs if you have them available in your area. My fish go crazy for them. I'm sure other brands have comparable.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Thanks!
Brine shrimp is easily digestible and palatable as is mysis shrimp but both are capable of causing excess mucus in the stomach lining. I would also add foods such as small plankton, TDO pellets and LRS fish frenzy which offer omegas and vitamins. Please post a couple of pics of the clowns under white light intensity .

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!
How long have they been in copper and what is the type of copper and the dose? A proper copper treatment won’t cause clownfish to stop eating.

OP
OP
M

mjaquarium02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have they been in copper and what is the type of copper and the dose? A proper copper treatment won’t cause clownfish to stop eating.
I just started coppersafe treatment. Today is day 2 of treatment. With that being said, the copper is not at the ideal dose yet. I’m slowly working my way up. They weren’t eating even prior to the copper treatment so that’s why i’m kinda worried.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started coppersafe treatment. Today is day 2 of treatment. With that being said, the copper is not at the ideal dose yet. I’m slowly working my way up. They weren’t eating even prior to the copper treatment so that’s why i’m kinda worried.
You can get to a full coppersafe dose in less than a day if you are testing it accurately.

Jay

OP
OP
M

mjaquarium02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rods brand fish eggs if you have them available in your area. My fish go crazy for them. I'm sure other brands have comparable.
Just bought the fish eggs and i dipped them in garlic! They absolutely love them. They’re finally eating again.

OP
OP
M

mjaquarium02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brine shrimp is easily digestible and palatable as is mysis shrimp but both are capable of causing excess mucus in the stomach lining. I would also add foods such as small plankton, TDO pellets and LRS fish frenzy which offer omegas and vitamins. Please post a couple of pics of the clowns under white light intensity .
i was interested in getting TDO pellets but i had to order it online… small plankton and brine shrimp did the trick! I dipped them in garlic because they weren’t interested without it. This is my first time trying garlic with their food and I’m surprised it worked. Thanks for the tip!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
i was interested in getting TDO pellets but i had to order it online… small plankton and brine shrimp did the trick! I dipped them in garlic because they weren’t interested without it. This is my first time trying garlic with their food and I’m surprised it worked. Thanks for the tip!
Great to hear !!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back