Clownfish not eating, breathing heavy

Cchamberland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this look like normal clown behavior/respiration? I noticed yesterday they weren't eating as much and gulping every now and then, but today they won't eat at all; not mysis or pellets that they normally eat voraciously. Today they're not touching it. Also their respiration seems labored. Instead of exploring the tank like they normally do, yesterday and today they're staying on the one side of the tank.

The only thing that has changed was that I lowered the whites in the AI prime (going from 70% white down to 50%, so the light is much bluer.)

Salinity: 1.025
Alk: 9.3
Calc: 330
Mag: 1410
Phos: 0
Nitrates: 5ppm
Ammonia: 0
Temp: 77.8-79F

Here's a short clip:

#fishmedic if you're not busy, your insight is invaluable.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there any quarantine protocol with these fish?

OP
OP
C

Cchamberland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there any quarantine protocol with these fish?
I asked the LFS, and they said they don't QT anymore, and I don't have any QT protocol here at home. I got these guys about a month ago from the best LFS in the area, so I didn't think I'd even need to. I am new(ish, my last tank was over 15 years ago) to this hobby.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look fine to me. Breathing doesn't seem too fast or labored. Interested to see what more trained eyes see.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Does this look like normal clown behavior/respiration? I noticed yesterday they weren't eating as much and gulping every now and then, but today they won't eat at all; not mysis or pellets that they normally eat voraciously. Today they're not touching it. Also their respiration seems labored. Instead of exploring the tank like they normally do, yesterday and today they're staying on the one side of the tank.

The only thing that has changed was that I lowered the whites in the AI prime (going from 70% white down to 50%, so the light is much bluer.)

Here's a short clip:

I dont see gulping or gasping or other signs of flukes but towards end of video I did observe fluttering of the pectoral fin and both breathing just slightly higher than normal.
I do however question your parameters as well as age of tank. Tan looks fairly clean and the fish seem discolored which may point to early stage of brooklynella.
Have the fish coloration faded a little that you can see?
If so, consider a 5 minute freshwater dip , the same temp as display tank and see if there is a change in breathing an appetite and we can take it from there.
While clowns can get flukes, its rare that they do

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the issue here is pretty broad - in that you have fish that were not quarantined. Thus multiple things could be happening - including merely a reaction to the lighting. That said - you have fish that are not eating - and thats a problem no matter what the cause.

Curious - have you tried resetting your lighting to where it was - and if that changed behavior.

OP
OP
C

Cchamberland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see gulping or gasping or other signs of flukes but towards end of video I did observe fluttering of the pectoral fin and both breathing just slightly higher than normal.
I do however question your parameters as well as age of tank. Tan looks fairly clean and the fish seem discolored which may point to early stage of brooklynella.
Have the fish coloration faded a little that you can see?
If so, consider a 5 minute freshwater dip , the same temp as display tank and see if there is a change in breathing an appetite and we can take it from there.
While clowns can get flukes, its rare that they do
The tank is about a month and a half old, if that helps. Their color looks just as good today as it did when I bought them, I don't notice any discoloration. I had to use an orange filter on the filter to counteract the blues in the LEDs, and I'm sure that's not helping with how their color looks in the video.
I just got back from a LFS close to me and had them test the water, and the parameters matched the results from my tests here at home. I'm using Salifert tests, they used Red Sea tests. The only thing they noted that could be improved was the 9 alk.

I did a 25% water change, and if they're still not eating tomorrow they'll get a freshwater dip. Thank you for your help!

OP
OP
C

Cchamberland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the issue here is pretty broad - in that you have fish that were not quarantined. Thus multiple things could be happening - including merely a reaction to the lighting. That said - you have fish that are not eating - and thats a problem no matter what the cause.

Curious - have you tried resetting your lighting to where it was - and if that changed behavior.
That's a really good idea.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The tank is about a month and a half old, if that helps. Their color looks just as good today as it did when I bought them, I don't notice any discoloration. I had to use an orange filter on the filter to counteract the blues in the LEDs, and I'm sure that's not helping with how their color looks in the video.
I just got back from a LFS close to me and had them test the water, and the parameters matched the results from my tests here at home. I'm using Salifert tests, they used Red Sea tests. The only thing they noted that could be improved was the 9 alk.

I did a 25% water change, and if they're still not eating tomorrow they'll get a freshwater dip. Thank you for your help!
Yes, filters can throw off the color with camera images. Increase aeration with this tank being newer and reduce white intensity. Elevated breathing is associated with low oxygen or gills issue caused by disease, Water change alone can reduce breathing rate but keep an eye on the fish if you havent seen changes mentioned.

OP
OP
C

Cchamberland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, filters can throw off the color with camera images. Increase aeration with this tank being newer and reduce white intensity. Elevated breathing is associated with low oxygen or gills issue caused by disease, Water change alone can reduce breathing rate but keep an eye on the fish if you havent seen changes mentioned.
I did a 50% water change, and they do seem better ever so slightly. Thank you again for your help! I'll report back tomorrow how they're doing.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here's a short clip:

The clowns are breathing a bit fast and the not eating is a serious symptom.
Any other animals in the tank? How are they?
The lighting change is very unlikely to be the core issue. Any change to the aeration/circulation in the tank?

OP
OP
C

Cchamberland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns are breathing a bit fast and the not eating is a serious symptom.
Any other animals in the tank? How are they?
The lighting change is very unlikely to be the core issue. Any change to the aeration/circulation in the tank?
I have 1 cleaner shrimp in the tank, a RBTA, and a few corals and everyone else is fine and acting normal.
The flow and aeration haven't changed. I made sure when I set up the tank to have the return nozzle aimed towards the top of the water column to agitate the water, and I have an AI Nero 3 running at low speed in the opposite direction to further agitate the water.

Edit: Since I did the water change, 25% and then 25% more 1.5 hours later, the clowns are eating, but very little, like 3 pellets a piece. Am I correct to assume that their appetite is slow to return? Their breathing does seem very slightly better as well, which gives me some hope.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 cleaner shrimp in the tank, a RBTA, and a few corals and everyone else is fine and acting normal.
The flow and aeration haven't changed. I made sure when I set up the tank to have the return nozzle aimed towards the top of the water column to agitate the water, and I have an AI Nero 3 running at low speed in the opposite direction to further agitate the water.

Edit: Since I did the water change, 25% and then 25% more 1.5 hours later, the clowns are eating, but very little, like 3 pellets a piece. Am I correct to assume that their appetite is slow to return? Their breathing does seem very slightly better as well, which gives me some hope.
I think you should add an air stone to the tank to rule out low oxygen levels altogether. Your water changes may have boosted the oxygen, but that will be temporary.
You need to actively break the surface tension of the water - through an air stone or a good skimmer.

OP
OP
C

Cchamberland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I added the protein skimmer about 3 hours ago, and aside from some micro bubbles going into the tank, everything seems fine. The clowns ignored the mysis shrimp that I fed them, but an hour later they ate 3 or so pellets that I put in, and now instead of hiding in the back of the tank, they're been back to alternating between exploring the rock work, and then going to the back of the tank, so to me that is positive progress. Their respiration seems to have improved some, and their gills appear less swollen at the bottom than before. I'm cautiously optimistic now that the problem was as Jay was saying an oxygenation issue.

Thank you Jay, and everyone else that chimed in. I know it can be exhausting to deal with the same questions every day, but folks like us that are new to the hobby, or returning to it after a decade and a half, really treasure and value your experience and guidance when it comes to these issues. When a problem arises, one of the best tools we have are threads like these, and your answers and feedback are invaluable, so thank you again.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 60 74.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back