Clown not happy

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok clown has this on him treating for bacterial infection
Doesn’t look like parasite stumped
He has been like this no change for 6 days eats like a pig is in QT any ideas ?treatment?
Humble ? Any body ?
a7c18854ce4a376e1f2ce0cf7f1ca796.heic

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you turn off the blues and take some more pics? Are there tons of small dots that almost look like a dusting, is that an accurate observation? Salt or sugar-sized?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at this guy, I'm thinking velvet ... but at that level of infection, he probably shouldn't be swimming. Brooklynella also might be a possibility.

@melypr1985 or @Humblefish may be able to sharpen the point of your sword . . .

~Bruce

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at this guy, I'm thinking velvet ... but at that level of infection, he probably shouldn't be swimming. Brooklynella also might be a possibility.

~Bruce
This was my thought as well, I’m almost certain that’s velvet now that I’m seeing it on a different device!

OP
OP
Darryl

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

~Bruce
it can't be because when i was away this is when it started got home after 5 days and this is it he has been in QT for 6 days so thats 11 days he has been like this .
They are not spots ,grain like or cottony its more like a reaction to a nem sting type of thing this tank has also been up and running for 2 years with its inhabitants there from day one with absolutely no additions of coral or rock or invertebrates just the removal of the carpet the day i left because he had split and only having a fish sitter didn't want them going on walkabouts .And all parameters are Fine!
for the length of time he has been like that he should be dead he i eats like a pig slightly peod from being moved but fine and nobody else in tank has anything wrong

Last edited:
OP
OP
Darryl

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im stumped
not sure what treatment to go with now

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood .... With luck, the pros will hop on and pick up on this one. If he's been doing this well for this long, it seems that it must be something that progresses a bit more slowly.

~Bruce

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scratch that — looking at the eyes, I see spots on the eyes? I’m wondering flukes. Do a freshwater dip in a dark bucket— if small sesame seed looking things come off, it’s flukes.

That may be a really really bad case of flukes if that’s what it is, perhaps the worst. In fact, if the dip removes them and you treat with prazi twice 5 days apart, this fish will almost certainly need to be treated for secondary infections in quarantine.

If you cannot catch (try surprising it late at night with a bright light and catching it before it can adjust and figure out what’s going on) it, prazipro isn’t going to hurt anything.

OP
OP
Darryl

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since i started him with a bacteria treatment he is looking better and his eye is clearer and the odd thing its only on the right side top with very little on left side when first pulled him it was more like mucus spots thought it look more like he got stung buy carpet.
Now i don't know what to think:(

OP
OP
Darryl

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did a fresh water dip and nothing also did a metholene blue after and i guess im stumped because how can any of the most logical things even get in tank because i mean nothing has been added to this tank for 2 years except water and food

OP
OP
Darryl

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scratch that — looking at the eyes, I see spots on the eyes? I’m wondering flukes. Do a freshwater dip in a dark bucket— if small sesame seed looking things come off, it’s flukes.

That may be a really really bad case of flukes if that’s what it is, perhaps the worst. In fact, if the dip removes them and you treat with prazi twice 5 days apart, this fish will almost certainly need to be treated for secondary infections in quarantine.

If you cannot catch (try surprising it late at night with a bright light and catching it before it can adjust and figure out what’s going on) it, prazipro isn’t going to hurt anything.
his eye is cloudy but clearing up with only a couple of spots still hazy sorry for yucky pic its also like i said only on right top side with a little over the top on left left eye and side is nice and vibrant

OP
OP
Darryl

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he is in melofex and prozzi in qt

OP
OP
Darryl

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood .... With luck, the pros will hop on and pick up on this one. If he's been doing this well for this long, it seems that it must be something that progresses a bit more slowly.

~Bruce
Bruce you think i should just go for aggressive velvet/brook treatment or keep the bacterial treatment i will post better picks tomorrow because it is primarily on its right side and top not the left side

OP
OP
Darryl

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other meds has he been treated with?
when i got back he had been like this for 5 days it did not look like parasite velvet ik etc.
i started with a fresh water dip 7 min and then metholene blue then put him in QT with bacterial meleflex prozi

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Bacterial meleflex prozi" ... Do you mean Melafix, the tea-tree oil that claims to cure everything under the sun and moon? (It provides some relief for a few things, IIRC, but actually cures little.) Prazi-Pro? That stuff's great - for flukes, which may or may not be what's affecting your trigger.

Did you see anything come off during the dip?

Apologies for the late reply - nearly 48 hours on the clock in the last two days.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Darryl

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Bacterial meleflex prozi" ... Do you mean Melafix, the tea-tree oil that claims to cure everything under the sun and moon? (It provides some relief for a few things, IIRC, but actually cures little.) Prazi-Pro? That stuff's great - for flukes, which may or may not be what's affecting your trigger.

Did you see anything come off during the dip?

Apologies for the late reply - nearly 48 hours on the clock in the last two days.

~Bruce
yes after the fresh water dip and methylene blue put in prozipro and QT that has melafix in it as well
Thank You for the response
Not a thing came off him during dip.
So as of today he has hardly and spots and his eyes are completely clear eats like usual and looks like he is getting better
Friday morning 8am he had a slime coating on the right side and that all sloffed off by 9
and he drastically has been looking better since
still puzzled on what it is and where it came from . still think it is the carpet nem that wacked him .
he is in a bacterial med qt at present changed everything out and got script from vet.

OP
OP
Darryl

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok update
the clown looks almost normal now
i am stumped.
i am going to keep him in QT for the rest of week and then if better move to another tank for more QT.
any ideas ? should i run any other meds ?
i have been doing this for 40 plus years both hobby and professional have seen and cured just about everything and i have never seen anything like this.

OP
OP
Darryl

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok update !!!!
The Clown is doing excellent and will be returning to DT shortly.
he was put in vet rx bacteria med which healed up the spots that appeared to be a secondary infection and his colors a very vibrant now eats like a pig.
will post pics before transfer and after .
Thanks for all the help
:)

OP
OP
Darryl

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he went in last night and everybody happy he is back .
He is doing fine and playing with everybody . (has the evil eye on me though)
will get some better pictures in a day or so don't want to get him to mad at me lolol

IMG_5512.JPG

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 115 74.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back