Tomini Tang with unknown disease/infection

jcampbell98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a strange one that I am a bit stumped with. This to mini tang has had these white spots on him for over 2-3 weeks at this point. He shows no signs of distress or any other symptoms, aside from the spots. He eats like a pig and swims around all day. I have dealt with velvet previously, and that seemed to be a pretty quick killer, so I feel like I can rule that out and it is showing no other symptoms. But the amount of spots seems to be too much to be ich.

I also have a flame hawk fish, 2 firefish and a Coris wrasse. All of them are completely clear and have no spots on them, all fish were introduced to the tank around the same time. This has stumped me for a couple weeks, but I'm not sure if its possibly some sort of fungal or bacterial infection?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

IMG_0865.jpeg IMG_0866.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The pictures seem to show an area with mucus plugs - which can be from general irritation - or - former ICH. Based on what you said - it's apparent (?) that you didn't quarantine with medication. I guess - better pictures and more history would help. Based on what I see - I would watch - with a bias towards treating all of your fish in a QT tank per protocol with copper and Prazipro

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here is a strange one that I am a bit stumped with. This to mini tang has had these white spots on him for over 2-3 weeks at this point. He shows no signs of distress or any other symptoms, aside from the spots. He eats like a pig and swims around all day. I have dealt with velvet previously, and that seemed to be a pretty quick killer, so I feel like I can rule that out and it is showing no other symptoms. But the amount of spots seems to be too much to be ich.

I also have a flame hawk fish, 2 firefish and a Coris wrasse. All of them are completely clear and have no spots on them, all fish were introduced to the tank around the same time. This has stumped me for a couple weeks, but I'm not sure if its possibly some sort of fungal or bacterial infection?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

IMG_0865.jpeg IMG_0866.jpeg
Appears as velvet but dont hold me on this as a video would be best under brighter white light intensity and of at least 20 seconds

OP
OP
J

jcampbell98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appears as velvet but dont hold me on this as a video would be best under brighter white light intensity and of at least 20 seconds
But the amount of time it has had the spots and the fact that no other fish in the tank have any symptoms seems a bit strange to be velvet no? To my knowledge, velvet would rip through a tank within a few days. He has had these spots for a couple weeks with no other behavioral symptoms.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
But the amount of time it has had the spots and the fact that no other fish in the tank have any symptoms seems a bit strange to be velvet no? To my knowledge, velvet would rip through a tank within a few days. He has had these spots for a couple weeks with no other behavioral symptoms.
Again, pics are Very fuzzy and dark to tell , hence request for a video under brighter light to assess and confirm

OP
OP
J

jcampbell98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, pics are Very fuzzy and dark to tell , hence request for a video under brighter light to assess and confirm
Here is a video with the lights on full white and brightness. This is the longest I could record that the website allowed me to upload. Anything more was too large.

Attachments

• IMG_0873.MOV
    25.9 MB

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here is a video with the lights on full white and brightness. This is the longest I could record that the website allowed me to upload. Anything more was too large.
I have codecs and this wont play. Can you post a you tube video?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here you go.

That works. This is ich. You will need to place fish in Quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

OP
OP
J

jcampbell98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That works. This is ich. You will need to place fish in Quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
Gotcha thanks. Still strange that it did not and has to effected the other fish in 2-3 weeks.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure this is ich but another video with a longer duration would be helpful. To clarify, the fish has zero other symptoms, no heavy breathing, flashing, etc?

Have the spots become worse over time or stayed consistent?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I agree that it superficially looks like ich, the video isn't quite clear enough for a firm diagnosis.

I do think it has something going on, not velvet as that would have killed this fish by now. It is either a more chronic case of ich, or it is flukes. Flukes often certain species of fish harder than others, while ich tends to hit all fish evenly. Moving the fish to a treatment tank and running copper/prazi or hyposalinity would work for either issue.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back