Help ID'ing Tomini Tang Spots

ToddMcgraw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Can anyone tell me if this is ich on my Tomini Tang? I had a clown goby disappear a couple weeks ago and ever since then the fish have been really skiddish and jumpy. This Tomini is flashing a bit an seems stressed.

Tank is a 75 gallon EXT. Inhabitants and this Tomini, One-spot Foxface, Clarkii, Yellow Wrasse. Had it set up for about 4 months and all inhabitants were transferred from a 40 gallon. I've had the Tomini for probably 1.5 years now.

Thanks

MJM04136.JPG
MJM04135.JPG
MJM04134.JPG MJM04133.JPG MJM04132.JPG MJM04131.JPG

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich or velvet most likley

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is an odd type of pattern that lots of people have shown up with. Curious - any new additions, or any other fish sick - Plus - any stress, water/parameter changes etc. Looking it - it seems like clear irritation to mucus. If you said 'there is fast breathing or something else - I might say velvet, etc. However, what it looks like is Ich - with local mucus production - unfortunately I can't see on the picture the fins well - but what I see I think I see 'spots'.

however for it to be Ich or anything else disease related - there should be a reason - an addition, stress event or something. Can you help us out by clicking the link on my signature - which takes you to a question form that can help us help you

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like velve
Hello,

Can anyone tell me if this is ich on my Tomini Tang? I had a clown goby disappear a couple weeks ago and ever since then the fish have been really skiddish and jumpy. This Tomini is flashing a bit an seems stressed.

Tank is a 75 gallon EXT. Inhabitants and this Tomini, One-spot Foxface, Clarkii, Yellow Wrasse. Had it set up for about 4 months and all inhabitants were transferred from a 40 gallon. I've had the Tomini for probably 1.5 years now.

Thanks

MJM04136.JPG
MJM04135.JPG
MJM04134.JPG MJM04133.JPG MJM04132.JPG MJM04131.JPG
which they are susceptible to
Treat as you would for ich using coppersafe at treatment level 2.25 for a FULL 30 days and monitor with a reliable copper test such as Hanna brand. Other fish in the tank will likely be exposed and have a need to join in for treatment
Monitor water quality during quarantine and leave display tank without fish for 6-8 weeks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ToddMcgraw

ToddMcgraw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an odd type of pattern that lots of people have shown up with. Curious - any new additions, or any other fish sick - Plus - any stress, water/parameter changes etc. Looking it - it seems like clear irritation to mucus. If you said 'there is fast breathing or something else - I might say velvet, etc. However, what it looks like is Ich - with local mucus production - unfortunately I can't see on the picture the fins well - but what I see I think I see 'spots'.

however for it to be Ich or anything else disease related - there should be a reason - an addition, stress event or something. Can you help us out by clicking the link on my signature - which takes you to a question form that can help us help you
Hi, thanks yes see the form answers below:

About 5 weeks ago I got a green clown goby, this has been the only new addition to the tank in a long time. He was doing well and eating for a couple of weeks until I had to have surgery and had my father-in-law feed the fish while I was gone for a couple of days. This disrupted their feeding schedule a bit as I had him feed them differently since he couldn't control the Apex to set the feed mode. After I got back all the fish seemed a bit miffed since their routine got messed up. The clown goby was still there eating after I got back but disappeared after about two days. I do not know what happened. Since then all the fish have seemed more stressed including my foxface who has been hiding more often. This is the only stressful event I can think of. Water params have been stable as well as flow and lighting.

Aquarium Parameters:
Aquarium type: Reef
Aquarium water volume: 90 gal. total volume.
Filtration type: sump w/ filter sock, gfo reactor, protein skimmer
Lighting: Ecotech Radion XR30 G2
How long has the aquarium been established? ~4-5 months. Although I did transfer all inhabitants from a tank that was established 2+ years. In the transfer I brought about half the old live rock as seed for the new tank.
Digital image of the whole aquarium under white light:
MJM04137.JPG

Water quality (be sure to indicate what measurement units you are using, as well as the test kit brand)
Temperature: 78.4 - Apex
pH: 8.12 - Apex
Salinity / specific gravity: 35 ppt - Hanna Digital Salinity Tester
Ammonia: not tested
Nitrite: not tested
Nitrate: 15.6 ppm - Hanna HR
Phosphorus: 0.18 ppm Hanna ULR
Copper: none

Other

In-depth information:
Have you lost any fish to this problem yet? (see below): No
Are any invertebrates affected?: No
Respiration rate of affected fish (in gill beats per minutes, count for 15 seconds and multiply by 4): Struggling to count as he is swimming around too much but I would say around 80 bpm.
Are the affected fish still feeding? Yes
What remedies have you tried so far? None
Digital image of the fish with the health issue, taken under white light -
- if needed, indicate by drawing a line around the area in question.
A short video of the fish (linked YouTube videos work well) - this is perhaps the best information that you can supply, as long as the video is clear.

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you Qt all of your fish in Copper/prazipro - or not. I don't care i.e. not critising if you didn't - but just wondering. I don't want to debate ich or velvet - either way - the treatment is removing the fish (all) - treating for 30 days with copper(chelated). Which I would do in a hospital tank - and THANKS ALOT FOR ANSWERiNG all of the questions!!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ToddMcgraw

ToddMcgraw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you Qt all of your fish in Copper/prazipro - or not. I don't care i.e. not critising if you didn't - but just wondering. I don't want to debate ich or velvet - either way - the treatment is removing the fish (all) - treating for 30 days with copper(chelated). Which I would do in a hospital tank - and THANKS ALOT FOR ANSWERiNG all of the questions!!!!
No, I haven’t Qt’ed any of my fish, they’ve all been in there for 1+ years some of them over 2 years, other the the clown goby. I was buying all of my fish from two lfs that quarantine there fish for two weeks ahead of time in low salinity and copper.
Since I don’t have a qt setup, what size tank would you recommend for that? I also may contact some peeps in my local fb reef keeping group and see if anyone is able to qt them for me.
Appreciate the help!

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I haven’t Qt’ed any of my fish, they’ve all been in there for 1+ years some of them over 2 years, other the the clown goby. I was buying all of my fish from two lfs that quarantine there fish for two weeks ahead of time in low salinity and copper.
Since I don’t have a qt setup, what size tank would you recommend for that? I also may contact some peeps in my local fb reef keeping group and see if anyone is able to qt them for me.
Appreciate the help!
Thanks for answering the questions! Based on the lower respiration rate, I’d rule out velvet and would say this is ich.

Upvote 0

LBA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an expert - but my bristle tooth tang recently looked just like this. Almost powder dusted looking, rather than distinct ich spots. It stemmed from a small ich breakout in a blue hippo and then a few others. No evidence of Velvet in other tank mates.

I thought I was beating it and then it came back with a vengeance. (brooklynella may have also been present). He was my most active grazer and swimmer. The end result was difficulty breathing and weakness. He went from super active to dead in less than 24 hours. I loved that fish. So treat it properly if you can.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ToddMcgraw

ToddMcgraw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an expert - but my bristle tooth tang recently looked just like this. Almost powder dusted looking, rather than distinct ich spots. It stemmed from a small ich breakout in a blue hippo and then a few others. No evidence of Velvet in other tank mates.

I thought I was beating it and then it came back with a vengeance. (brooklynella may have also been present). He was my most active grazer and swimmer. The end result was difficulty breathing and weakness. He went from super active to dead in less than 24 hours. I loved that fish. So treat it properly if you can.
Hey, thanks, yeah that sounds like basically my same situation. Unfortunately, this whole thing is super bad timing for me and I wasn’t able to get to it last night. He’s still alive and swimming around with some energy right now but definitely looks like he is trying to “shake some fleas off” and is regularly kind of backing up and moving forward over and over again in a sort of pattern. I’m hoping he can last till this afternoon when I have some time to run around and set up a qt tank. I’ve had this one for around 2 years and he’s always been super healthy and active; I’d be sad if he didn’t make it. This is my first bout with any fish disease since I started in this hobby a few years ago. I’m definitely always learning something new and making mistakes.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ToddMcgraw

ToddMcgraw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi MnFish1, just had a question regarding copper treatment. Others have been recommending Copper Power or Coppersafe. Why did you specify Chelated Copper and are these products classified as chelated copper? I can’t seem to find for certain whether they are or not. Also, I read that wrasses sometimes don’t tolerate copper well. I was planning to move all my fish into qt to allow to dt to be fallow for 60 days. Do you see a problem with this? I have the bristle tooth tomini tang, one spot foxface, yellow wrasse, clarkii clownfish. Thanks again for your help!

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi MnFish1, just had a question regarding copper treatment. Others have been recommending Copper Power or Coppersafe. Why did you specify Chelated Copper and are these products classified as chelated copper? I can’t seem to find for certain whether they are or not. Also, I read that wrasses sometimes don’t tolerate copper well. I was planning to move all my fish into qt to allow to dt to be fallow for 60 days. Do you see a problem with this? I have the bristle tooth tomini tang, one spot foxface, yellow wrasse, clarkii clownfish. Thanks again for your help!
Hi - no I don't see a problem with the fallow period. Coppersafe is chelated. I don't have data - just an opinion - it seems to be better tolerated (chelated copper) for certain fish.

Upvote 0

LBA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, thanks, yeah that sounds like basically my same situation. Unfortunately, this whole thing is super bad timing for me and I wasn’t able to get to it last night. He’s still alive and swimming around with some energy right now but definitely looks like he is trying to “shake some fleas off” and is regularly kind of backing up and moving forward over and over again in a sort of pattern. I’m hoping he can last till this afternoon when I have some time to run around and set up a qt tank. I’ve had this one for around 2 years and he’s always been super healthy and active; I’d be sad if he didn’t make it. This is my first bout with any fish disease since I started in this hobby a few years ago. I’m definitely always learning something new and making mistakes.
Yeah, one of my regrets was waiting to get all of the tools I needed until it was too late. That and trying all the useless in tank treatments.

Currently spending my weekend staring at the fish trap. QT is now setup for all current and future fish, ready to go fallow for 8 weeks.

2 more fish to go!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ToddMcgraw

ToddMcgraw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, one of my regrets was waiting to get all of the tools I needed until it was too late. That and trying all the useless in tank treatments.

Currently spending my weekend staring at the fish trap. QT is now setup for all current and future fish, ready to go fallow for 8 weeks.

2 more fish to go!
Yeah I hear that. Good luck fish trapping! I’m in the same boat now.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ToddMcgraw

ToddMcgraw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - no I don't see a problem with the fallow period. Coppersafe is chelated. I don't have data - just an opinion - it seems to be better tolerated (chelated copper) for certain fish.
So, all my fish are still alive and seem relatively normal. The tang still has the spots but it doesn’t seems to be getting worse. This would rule out velvet right? My understanding was velvet kills usually within 24 hrs.
I’ve had my hospital tank setup and running for two days but I can’t get my fish out. I tried removing rock and netting them twice but it didn’t work. I’ve resorted to fish traps and the waiting game.
I kind of feel like I’m making the situation worse by trying to get them out and constantly stressing them. Do you think my tang could have a different disease? Considering he’s alive still and doesn’t seem to be getting weaker? I’m just trying to decide if I should just leave them in there and let this play out

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ToddMcgraw

ToddMcgraw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, all my fish are still alive and seem relatively normal. The tang still has the spots but it doesn’t seems to be getting worse. This would rule out velvet right? My understanding was velvet kills usually within 24 hrs.
I’ve had my hospital tank setup and running for two days but I can’t get my fish out. I tried removing rock and netting them twice but it didn’t work. I’ve resorted to fish traps and the waiting game.
I kind of feel like I’m making the situation worse by trying to get them out and constantly stressing them. Do you think my tang could have a different disease? Considering he’s alive still and doesn’t seem to be getting weaker? I’m just trying to decide if I should just leave them in there and let this play out
Actually scratch that idea. After watching my tank for a few minutes I am fairly certain that the foxface and clownfish have the same disease. They started doing the same twitch as the tang. They dont have any visible spots but definitely look annoyed like something is on their skin that they can’t get off. Hopefully I can trap them before it’s too late

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back