Spot on tang

moon&back_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, wondering if anyone can help. I have a little tomini tang who I just noticed a round white spot by her gill on the left side. She seems completely normal, as do the other fish (5 in tank). She does swim a ton through our rocks and in and out of tight spots so I don’t know if she got caught on anything, or if this is something disease or parasite-wise we should look out for. We are new so appreciate anyone with past experience. I know the pictures are not great I tried for 30 mins and it is the best I could get. I tried to mark around where what we’re seeing is.

Thank you!

IMG_0747.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi, wondering if anyone can help. I have a little tomini tang who I just noticed a round white spot by her gill on the left side. She seems completely normal, as do the other fish (5 in tank). She does swim a ton through our rocks and in and out of tight spots so I don’t know if she got caught on anything, or if this is something disease or parasite-wise we should look out for. We are new so appreciate anyone with past experience. I know the pictures are not great I tried for 30 mins and it is the best I could get. I tried to mark around where what we’re seeing is.

Thank you!

IMG_0747.jpeg
It is impossible to see what you are referring to under this dark lighting with blue. Please repost under white light intensity. This is what we see:

1710886369507.png

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say this but that picture is a bit impossible. Would you be able to try to take a picture under white light instead of blue? If under white even if blurry it’s easier to see contours.

OP
OP
moon&back_reef

moon&back_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi hopefully these are better. I think they’re getting condensed when I load them on the site. This is under white light I know it still looks blue idk why that is on my phone.

Attachments

• IMG_0768.jpeg
    IMG_0768.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0762.jpeg
    IMG_0762.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0767.jpeg
    IMG_0767.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
moon&back_reef

moon&back_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say this but that picture is a bit impossible. Would you be able to try to take a picture under white light instead of blue? If under white even if blurry it’s easier to see contours.
Thanks I reposted some below. I think something is happening to the images when I load them here as well bc they look even worse than when on my phone.

OP
OP
moon&back_reef

moon&back_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you!

IMG_0747.jpeg
Thanks sorry I didn’t realize that the quality did that when uploading. I’ve posted some below hopefully they look better.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I reposted some below. I think something is happening to the images when I load them here as well bc they look even worse than when on my phone.
The compression software is not wonderful that’s for sure. I see the spot but it’s hard to tell what it is. Does look like it could be some sort of injury. How is she acting other than having the spot?

OP
OP
moon&back_reef

moon&back_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The compression software is not wonderful that’s for sure. I see the spot but it’s hard to tell what it is. Does look like it could be some sort of injury. How is she acting other than having the spot?
She’s acting totally normal. It could be an injury because she’s a bit flighty and darts through all of our rock work. Some spots I’m surprised she can get through.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She’s acting totally normal. It could be an injury because she’s a bit flighty and darts through all of our rock work. Some spots I’m surprised she can get through.
I know exactly what you mean. My blue hippo who is 7 inches or so and super fat wedges herself head down into two rocks to sleep. I thought I was going to have to pull my rock work apart the first time I saw her do it. Unless it looks like ich or something like that I usually tend to be on the watch and wait side. With most contact injuries the fish tend to heal on their own if water quality is good and they’re acting normally/eating well.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a minor scrape from what I can see.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Agree on scrape with potential to get infected. Acquire Seachem Kanaplex in the event it becomes red or sore. If so, treat in a separate quarantine tank with added aeration

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back