Help please unsure of what it is.

leonk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this Tomini tang roughly two weeks and no signs of anything eats fine doesn’t move weird but I noticed this spot on him and it doesn’t move or look like it’s multiplying any ideas what it is just moved him to a hospital tank. Here are afew other photos and videos. If it where ick wouldn’t it kill some other fish I’ve got 2 clowns a exquisite wrasse cleaner shrimp and a royal gramma parameters are all good so not too sure what it could be could it be that tominis just naturally have white dots on them? You can see it well in blue light but under whites it’s abit harder to see it.

IMG_8890.jpeg
IMG_8891.jpeg
IMG_8911.png
IMG_8911.png
IMG_8910.png
IMG_8910.png
IMG_8909.png
IMG_8907.png
IMG_8908.png IMG_8905.png IMG_8906.png

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it might ich or velvet to me. Ich doesn’t always affect the other fish right away, if they are healthy their immune system can fight it. I would definitely remove all fish and do a copper treatment and leave the tank fallow for 45 days.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

leonk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like ich or velvet to me. Ich doesn’t always affect the other fish right away, if they are healthy their immune system can fight it. I would definitely remove all fish and do a copper treatment and leave the tank fallow for 45 days.
Even if I leave the tank empty for 45 days won’t ick still stay there? Also remove cleanup crew as well? Got 2 snails

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if I leave the tank empty for 45 days won’t ick still stay there? Also remove cleanup crew as well? Got 2 snails
No. if ich doesn’t have a host it will die off. Ich and velvet can’t affect inverts, only fish.

OP
OP
L

leonk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. if ich doesn’t have a host it will die off. Inverts don’t count as a host, only fish.
I got you ok thank you I read somewhere that it sticks to rocks forever and can only get rid of it by replacing the rock ok I’ll quarantine for 45 days then got to go buy a bigger tank than my 2.5

OP
OP
L

leonk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got you ok thank you I read somewhere that it sticks to rocks forever and can only get rid of it by replacing the rock ok I’ll quarantine for 45 days then got to go buy a bigger tank than my 2.5
No. if ich doesn’t have a host it will die off. Ich and velvet can’t affect inverts, only fish.
Coral and inverts are fine to leave?

OP
OP
L

leonk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok will do would it’s a good amount of fish what size tank do you recommended? Mines a 40 long as the main tank got a small wrasse 2-3 inches long a Tomini tang also small 2 clowns small as well a really small sand sifting goby and like a 1 inch royal gramma

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok will do would it’s a good amount of fish what size tank do you recommended? Mines a 40 long as the main tank got a small wrasse 2-3 inches long a Tomini tang also small 2 clowns small as well a really small sand sifting goby and like a 1 inch royal gramma
20-30 gallon with some pvc pipe should be okay.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang's skin is showing considerable damage. How old is the tank you first placed him in? I'm concerned that high ammonia or some other water condition may be contributiing to the condition.

Do NOT raise the temperature above 80. That will not help. Also, how long has the skin appeared as it does in your white light photos? How rapid is the breathing? Advanced velvet is usually accompanied by very rapid breathing, and left untreated, results in quick death. Ich is seen as a few very small white spots which leave after a day or two only to return in increasing numbers and in different locations.

Some of the marking on this fish are likely mucus cones which can be caused by a number of factors. THe large spots on the top of the fish and on the base of the dorsal fin are too large to be ich, and are likely mucus or even lymphocystis. mucus cones can be the result of an ich infection so you need to be very observant, and yes, we recommend all new fish be quarantined and treated with Copper Power or Copper Safe at @.25 - 2.50 ppm for 30 days.

A little more info may allow us to narrow down the diagnosis.

EDIT: Some of the white spots appear to be on the glass. If you could clean that and re photograph we would be better equipped.

OP
OP
L

leonk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20-30 gallon with some pvc pipe should be okay.

The tang's skin is showing considerable damage. How old is the tank you first placed him in? I'm concerned that high ammonia or some other water condition may be contributiing to the condition.

Do NOT raise the temperature above 80. That will not help. Also, how long has the skin appeared as it does in your white light photos? How rapid is the breathing? Advanced velvet is usually accompanied by very rapid breathing, and left untreated, results in quick death. Ich is seen as a few very small white spots which leave after a day or two only to return in increasing numbers and in different locations.

Some of the marking on this fish are likely mucus cones which can be caused by a number of factors. THe large spots on the top of the fish and on the base of the dorsal fin are too large to be ich, and are likely mucus or even lymphocystis. mucus cones can be the result of an ich infection so you need to be very observant, and yes, we recommend all new fish be quarantined and treated with Copper Power or Copper Safe at @.25 - 2.50 ppm for 30 days.

A little more info may allow us to narrow down the diagnosis.

EDIT: Some of the white spots appear to be on the glass. If you could clean that and re photograph we would be better equipped.
Tank is about 2 months old I did test nitrates afew days ago and came back at 1.0 after seeing that I quickly did a 30 percent water change added prime refilled with RODI water and added stability after that was planing on doing another small water change today you think ammonia could be the problem all the other fish look and breathe fine just the tang but he isint breathing hard just the spot seen on him looked like 2 on one side and 3 on the other but had been like that for at least 2 weeks planning on quarantining all with copper and testing ammonia when I get home in 2 hours.

OP
OP
L

leonk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raising the temperature helps speed up the fallow process.
Do you also recommend quarantining with tank water or new water? Since I only have a 40 gallon and quarantine is gonna be a 20 should I use tank water and refill dt again?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is about 2 months old I did test nitrates afew days ago and came back at 1.0 after seeing that I quickly did a 30 percent water change added prime refilled with RODI water and added stability after that was planing on doing another small water change today you think ammonia could be the problem all the other fish look and breathe fine just the tang but he isint breathing hard just the spot seen on him looked like 2 on one side and 3 on the other but had been like that for at least 2 weeks planning on quarantining all with copper and testing ammonia when I get home in 2 hours.
Nitrate at 1.0, if accurate, is not a problem. Unless you have a Hanna kit, I doubt you can even test that low. I would be more concerned if ammonia is a problem. A cycled tank adequately processes ammonia and results in higher nitrates until you have corals that will consume nitrates or some other mechanical method. Prime does not resolve ammonia issues. Two or three spots is not enough to confirm ich, but what do you attribute his skin conditions to?

EDIT: Please read the link to current QT protocol below for a detailed description of how to proceed.

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you also recommend quarantining with tank water or new water? Since I only have a 40 gallon and quarantine is gonna be a 20 should I use tank water and refill dt again?
I would use new water but you can do either one.

OP
OP
L

leonk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate at 1.0, if accurate, is not a problem. Unless you have a Hanna kit, I doubt you can even test that low. I would be more concerned if ammonia is a problem. A cycled tank adequately processes ammonia and results in higher nitrates until you have corals that will consume nitrates or some other mechanical method. Prime does not resolve ammonia issues. Two or three spots is not enough to confirm ich, but what do you attribute his skin conditions to?

EDIT: Please read the link to current QT protocol below for a detailed description of how to proceed.
I’m extremely extremely sorry I meant ammonia not nitrates so sorry my ammonia tested at 1 afew days ago and I’m not too sure could the whole issue be high ammonia cause I know the tank is cycled I was planning on going home to move all the fish into a quarantine and treat with copper for 45 days while leaving the coral in and inverts and testing ammonia again today what would you recommend?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 56 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back