Help please unsure of what it is.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raising the temperature helps speed up the fallow process.

Yes - it does. I think @threebuoys thought you meant raising the water temperature of the tank with the fish in it. We need to be careful not to tell people to raise the temperature in tanks with marine fish that have ich - that's a disaster waiting to happen! Raising the temperature with freshwater ich helps, but that is a different species. 84 degrees F. is like the prime reproductive temperature for marine ich (grin).

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this Tomini tang roughly two weeks and no signs of anything eats fine doesn’t move weird but I noticed this spot on him and it doesn’t move or look like it’s multiplying any ideas what it is just moved him to a hospital tank. Here are afew other photos and videos. If it where ick wouldn’t it kill some other fish I’ve got 2 clowns a exquisite wrasse cleaner shrimp and a royal gramma parameters are all good so not too sure what it could be could it be that tominis just naturally have white dots on them? You can see it well in blue light but under whites it’s abit harder to see it.

IMG_8890.jpeg
IMG_8891.jpeg
IMG_8911.png
IMG_8911.png
IMG_8910.png
IMG_8910.png
IMG_8909.png
IMG_8907.png
IMG_8908.png IMG_8905.png IMG_8906.png

Tomini tangs, with their dusky skin, tend to show any and all damage pretty clearly. In some of the photos it looks like missing scales from mechanical damage, in other cases, it looks like it might be ich. My guess is it is both. I do see a split caudal fin, that is another sign of mechanical damage - the tomini isn't in with any fish that could be bullying it is it?

OP
OP
L

leonk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomini tangs, with their dusky skin, tend to show any and all damage pretty clearly. In some of the photos it looks like missing scales from mechanical damage, in other cases, it looks like it might be ich. My guess is it is both. I do see a split caudal fin, that is another sign of mechanical damage - the tomini isn't in with any fish that could be bullying it is it?
No he is with a exquisite wrasse but he is the one that chases the wrasse around never seen the wrasse even attempt anything mainly the tang chasing him around when he gets close to him but 0 aggression so treat all fish in copper and let the coral and inverts stay in the main tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve had this Tomini tang roughly two weeks and no signs of anything eats fine doesn’t move weird but I noticed this spot on him and it doesn’t move or look like it’s multiplying any ideas what it is just moved him to a hospital tank. Here are afew other photos and videos. If it where ick wouldn’t it kill some other fish I’ve got 2 clowns a exquisite wrasse cleaner shrimp and a royal gramma parameters are all good so not too sure what it could be could it be that tominis just naturally have white dots on them? You can see it well in blue light but under whites it’s abit harder to see it.

IMG_8890.jpeg
IMG_8891.jpeg
IMG_8911.png
IMG_8911.png
IMG_8910.png
IMG_8910.png
IMG_8909.png
IMG_8907.png
IMG_8908.png IMG_8905.png IMG_8906.png
This likely started from a skin irritation and affects certain tangs and the dots are mucus cones likely mixed in with ich and fish will need to be treated in a separate tank with coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks if other fish are showing signs to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
If others not showing this, monitor them for any signs daily s this does not always spread.

OP
OP
L

leonk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This likely started from a skin irritation and affects certain tangs and the dots are mucus cones likely mixed in with ich and fish will need to be treated in a separate tank with coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks if other fish are showing signs to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
If others not showing this, monitor them for any signs daily s this does not always spread.
Thank you for you’re response gonna go ahead and quarantine all fish in 2 separate tanks and do I need a air filter with a sponge or is a air stone alone fine and how often do I change water for quarantine in case ammonia get higher? Thank you so much

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang's skin is showing considerable damage. How old is the tank you first placed him in? I'm concerned that high ammonia or some other water condition may be contributiing to the condition.

Do NOT raise the temperature above 80. That will not help. Also, how long has the skin appeared as it does in your white light photos? How rapid is the breathing? Advanced velvet is usually accompanied by very rapid breathing, and left untreated, results in quick death. Ich is seen as a few very small white spots which leave after a day or two only to return in increasing numbers and in different locations.

Some of the marking on this fish are likely mucus cones which can be caused by a number of factors. THe large spots on the top of the fish and on the base of the dorsal fin are too large to be ich, and are likely mucus or even lymphocystis. mucus cones can be the result of an ich infection so you need to be very observant, and yes, we recommend all new fish be quarantined and treated with Copper Power or Copper Safe at @.25 - 2.50 ppm for 30 days.

A little more info may allow us to narrow down the diagnosis.

EDIT: Some of the white spots appear to be on the glass. If you could clean that and re photograph we would be better equipped.
Watching with interest

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also raise the main tank temp to 80-82 degrees to speed up the fallow process.
Yes - it does. I think @threebuoys thought you meant raising the water temperature of the tank with the fish in it. We need to be careful not to tell people to raise the temperature in tanks with marine fish that have ich - that's a disaster waiting to happen! Raising the temperature with freshwater ich helps, but that is a different species. 84 degrees F. is like the prime reproductive temperature for marine ich (grin).
Hey @fishywishy ,

Jay hit the nail on the head. I responded too quickly and was thinking about fish not fallow. Sorry,

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 69 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%

Back