Clown Trigger tank mates

Nicks0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a 120 gallon fish-only system and I want to build my fish list around a Clown Trigger. Do you guys have any suggestions?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get active fish, get the trigger last and get him as small as possible. I have actually seen it work in a reef, but since you are doing fish only it will be easier to find tankmates. Dwarf angels and Zebrasoma or Ctenochus tangs work, as do hardier species of butterflys, large bodied anthias like bimacs and pink squares, soldierfish, larger clowns like the clarki complex, as well as hogfish, tusks and certain other larger wrasses.

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have run a clown trigger, huma, and niger together with koran angel, emperator, french,harlequin tusk, fox face, clown tang all in a 180

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the fish i have run can get pretty good sized so you dont want to overload. I have heard 1" of fish per gal as a suggestion

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 1" of fish per gallon is pretty useless IMO. If you have a standard 4 foot 120 gallon your options are very limited. Clown triggers get big as well. LiveAquaria recommends a 300 gallon tank with a potential max size of 20"! With that size tank I wouldn't recommend a clown trigger at all. When they are cramped like that they can get really aggressive. If you are set on the clown you might be better off with a species tank. You can't really do full size angels or most tangs. You can try a couple dwarf angels and tangs from the genus Ctenochaetos but when the trigger gets big you might be in trouble. My 2 cents.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The 1" of fish per gallon is pretty useless IMO. If you have a standard 4 foot 120 gallon your options are very limited. Clown triggers get big as well. LiveAquaria recommends a 300 gallon tank with a potential max size of 20"! With that size tank I wouldn't recommend a clown trigger at all. When they are cramped like that they can get really aggressive. If you are set on the clown you might be better off with a species tank. You can't really do full size angels or most tangs. You can try a couple dwarf angels and tangs from the genus Ctenochaetos but when the trigger gets big you might be in trouble. My 2 cents.

+1 this is good advice

Last edited:

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend you get an angelfish. But wait until your tank has matured. You can do well if you add a naso or unicorn larger than the clown trigger. You can also add you can get away with a large butterfly. You can add an eel. I prefer a genus of the morays. Such as a zebra, tessalata, or snowflake. Maybe you can add a large puffer like a porcupine or a dogface. They'll do fine in a 120. You can add like maybe up 7-9 good sized fish depending on if you have good enough filtration, a good skimmer, and a uv sterilizer. Good luck on your tank.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back