Clown with progressively worsening white spots

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on location my first guess is that it is lymphocytosis. It’s too patterned to be ich (which does look similar, but it also will first appear on the fins). If lymphocytosis, there really isn’t a treatment, but it goes away over time with clean water and low stress. It typically presents itself due to some stressor.
I purchased a bonded pair of Clarkii clowns with a large nodule on the female’s tail fin. With good, clean water parameters, it went away within 3-4 months.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here a few more photos. 2nd photo is the smaller clown and has one raised white spot just above his right pectoral fin. The other two photos show the white spots concentrated on the the pectoral fins and just below the dorsal fin. It honestly looks better today than it did last night. Also the blue light almost enhances the visualization of the spots. In the last pic there are two brownish spots - one below the dorsal fin and one just behind the pectoral fin. These were raised white spots 5 days ago.

IMG_1844.jpg
IMG_1840.jpg
IMG_1851.jpg
I can’t rule out the start of brooklynella here, clowns rarely get lymphocystis. It may just be extra mucus due to some irritation. If the fish are eating well, not breathing fast and are holding their fins erect, I would just observe them for now.
Jay

OP
OP
S

Subarody

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t rule out the start of brooklynella here, clowns rarely get lymphocystis. It may just be extra mucus due to some irritation. If the fish are eating well, not breathing fast and are holding their fins erect, I would just observe them for now.
Jay
Thanks everyone for your input. They’ve continued to eat normally and breathing seems normal, fins erect, so I guess I’ll just keep a close eye on them. If anything changes for the worse I’ll be back for more help:)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back