Clownfish behaviour not right

Kiwi reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my two clowns together together for the last seven years no issues. three weeks ago i changed tanks. and eveything was fine till two days ago

My new issue is my large female clown is not eating and is displaying aggressive behavour and being aggressive to her reflection in the glass.

So to the best of what i know is they're proberly breeding but from all that ive read, i cant see anywhere that would suggest the female would stop eating. I have tried three differnt types of food over the last two days and no luck.

She isnt skinny but i am concerned and dont wanna loose my clown. i have also noticed she is breathing a little heavy.

What is happening to my clown? and are there any suggestions?

Side note the male clown is still eating like normal.

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my two clowns together together for the last seven years no issues. three weeks ago i changed tanks. and eveything was fine till two days ago

My new issue is my large female clown is not eating and is displaying aggressive behavour and being aggressive to her reflection in the glass.

So to the best of what i know is they're proberly breeding but from all that ive read, i cant see anywhere that would suggest the female would stop eating. I have tried three differnt types of food over the last two days and no luck.

She isnt skinny but i am concerned and dont wanna loose my clown. i have also noticed she is breathing a little heavy.

What is happening to my clown? and are there any suggestions?

Side note the male clown is still eating like normal.
You could try to get some garlic guard they sell it at Petco or you can order it online. Any fish can not resist that I use it when I’m using medication. It’ll definitely help entice them let it soak in a cup with food.

OP
OP
Kiwi reefer

Kiwi reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try to get some garlic guard they sell it at Petco or you can order it online. Any fish can not resist that I use it when I’m using medication. It’ll definitely help entice them let it soak in a cup with food.
Exellent thanks for that, i'll add that to my list of things to try

Any Other ideas?

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any Other ideas?
He could be trying to get used to surroundings as well. I’ve had mine for a while too. It’s kind of funny they’ll go in spurts where my male and female will not like each other for a couple of months and then go back to liking each other and swimming together and hosting. What kind of food are you giving them frozen? Dry?

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any Other ideas?
And one more thing, I buy all of my fish food from a seafood, supermarket, squid, tuna, and octopus It’s a China place right down the street.

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frozen Mysis was the main food i feed, i do have some Ocean Nutrition small pellets as well and today i brought some Frozen bryne shrimp to try and see if that would work
My clowns love octopus you should really try that sometime

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s actually the male that stops eating not the female when breeding. As for your clownfish it’s most likely stressed from the change of tanks. Just keep feeding and she will come around watch for disease though as stress can bring that out.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You may want to pick up new life spectrum with probiotics just to help her stave off any illness while she's stressed. It's an inexpensive pellet food. (Reef safe)

OP
OP
Kiwi reefer

Kiwi reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! just wanted to say thank you for your advice and help, Clowns are happy and eating i really appreate the adivce

My clowns love octopus you should really try that sometime

It’s actually the male that stops eating not the female when breeding. As for your clownfish it’s most likely stressed from the change of tanks. Just keep feeding and she will come around watch for disease though as stress can bring that out.

You may want to pick up new life spectrum with probiotics just to help her stave off any illness while she's stressed. It's an inexpensive pellet food. (Reef safe)

e.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back