OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to keep bothering you guys, but do you know if there might be anything else wrong with him. He does not have any spots and he looks normal, except for the breathing heavy thing. He has just started doing this so that is why i doubt it is because of the filtration. I will test the water and give you my parameters as soon as they come in from amazon.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to keep bothering you guys, but do you know if there might be anything else wrong with him. He does not have any spots and he looks normal, except for the breathing heavy thing. He has just started doing this so that is why i doubt it is because of the filtration. I will test the water and give you my parameters as soon as they come in from amazon.
I have also put an aeration stone in the tank for a while

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any white fuzz/spots visible?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed any aggression towards the clown?
The breathing rate isn’t fast enough to confirm velvet, and no new additions reduces the likelihood of brook, though it is still a possibility.
Is it eating?
You can try doing a freshwater dip and see if it alleviates the symptoms.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed any aggression towards the clown?
The breathing rate isn’t fast enough to confirm velvet, and no new additions reduces the likelihood of brook, though it is still a possibility.
Is it eating?
You can try doing a freshwater dip and see if it alleviates the symptoms.
Ok thank you, would this in any way be a cause of eating a carbon rock? My bag split open and rocks went all over the tank. No new aggression or anything and i recently just got a handful of calerpia macroalgae. I dont think this caused it either since the tank i bought it from was doing fine.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless the fish are a lot of carbon I don’t think there would be a major issue, and even then it would have likely passed by now.
The macro could have brought something in depending on the system it came from, though it is rather unlikely.
@Jay Hemdal - thoughts?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you, would this in any way be a cause of eating a carbon rock? My bag split open and rocks went all over the tank. No new aggression or anything and i recently just got a handful of calerpia macroalgae. I dont think this caused it either since the tank i bought it from was doing fine.
I don’t think the clown is breathing fast enough to have an acute disease like velvet. Older fish can have chronic issues that cause elevated respiration rates. Even warmer water or poor aeration can add to that issue.
Jay

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think the clown is breathing fast enough to have an acute disease like velvet. Older fish can have chronic issues that cause elevated respiration rates. Even warmer water or poor aeration can add to that issue.
Jay
What would you suggest doing for poor aeration if that is in my tank. I do not believe my tank has warmer water since i have not change the setting on my thermometer recently.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you suggest doing for poor aeration if that is in my tank. I do not believe my tank has warmer water since i have not change the setting on my thermometer recently.
He also could be alot older than i realized, my uncle bought him about 6 years ago and the clown could have been living for several years before that as well.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not knowing your tank, I can’t say for sure, but if you have a protein skimmer or an airstone going, that is usually good enough. Circulation, without breaking the surface tension of the water doesn’t help much.
Jay

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not knowing your tank, I can’t say for sure, but if you have a protein skimmer or an airstone going, that is usually good enough. Circulation, without breaking the surface tension of the water doesn’t help much.
Jay
Ok thank you, i do not have a protein skimmer and i have not added anything that did not come with my fluval 32.5 flex. Just the standard stuff it came with.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you, i do not have a protein skimmer and i have not added anything that did not come with my fluval 32.5 flex. Just the standard stuff it came with.
I would consider adding an airstone to the tank, or at the very least, ensure that the water return from the pump always breaks the water's surface really well.

Jay

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless the fish are a lot of carbon I don’t think there would be a major issue, and even then it would have likely passed by now.
The macro could have brought something in depending on the system it came from, though it is rather unlikely.
@Jay Hemdal - thoughts?
E6AD0A75-40BA-490F-B261-27DF72F9BF0B.jpeg

What phosphate levels are most desirable. This is my phosphate.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back