Clownfish breathing quickly/is this fin rot?

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday, the tail of one of my new clownfish took some damage from aggression. I've removed the pair from that tank and placed them in my other tank, and have been watching them closely for about 24 hours. They are both still active and eating, but the one with the damaged tail looks to be breathing rapidly, and the end of his tail is starting to look white and fuzzy. Is he breathing too quickly/ is his tail ok?
IMG_6032.jpeg

IMG_6030.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yesterday, the tail of one of my new clownfish took some damage from aggression. I've removed the pair from that tank and placed them in my other tank, and have been watching them closely for about 24 hours. They are both still active and eating, but the one with the damaged tail looks to be breathing rapidly, and the end of his tail is starting to look white and fuzzy. Is he breathing too quickly/ is his tail ok?
IMG_6032.jpeg

IMG_6030.jpeg
Pic a little blurry but appears to have brooklynella
You can give it a 5 minute freshwater dip for temporary relief which should slow it down a little
Please repost a you tube video under pure white light intensity to confirm it’s brook

OP
OP
SnazzyUrchin792

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brooklynella typically causes white bumps/patches on the skin, right? If that is the case, I can see how you would think that, but it's actually just the dirty glass.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6032.jpeg

IMG_6030.jpeg

This clownfish may have multiple problems. The tail has become severely infected and it looks like the bone in the body has become affected. That could have become a systemic infection and that is causing the rapid breathing. Or, there is a second issue that is causing the rapid breathing.

Either way, sorry, but it will be difficult/impossible to bring this fish back to health. You would need to set up a treatment tank and dose that with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Neoplex or Kanaplex.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back