Clownfish Breeding question?

rebelprettyboy

xMRxCOMPLTEx
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. How can you tell if your clownfish are mated and going to breed?

2. Neways to make them breed?

3. How do you get the eggs off rocks if they lay em?

4. How do you make them lay em on a disk or something or do the clwonfish just do it?

5.HOw can u tell if the clownfish is gonna have babies

6. What size do they have to be to breed?

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Begs the question 'why do you want them to breed?' Just curious or to rear offspring?

IF they do mate, it's quite a challenge to raise the fry. In a nutshell, you need a dedicated tank, rotifer cultures of various sizes, and many sleepless nights. As newborns, even bright light is enough to stress them to death. Zero chance of raising clownfish from fry to even juveniles by accident. They are too delicate to survive in a reef aquarium, which is why a dedicated system is a must.

Amphibious

Oldest Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. How can you tell if your clownfish are mated and going to breed?
You may or may not have a pair. Assuming you do, one will become very noticeably plump in the abdomen area. That condition is also know as being "gravid", or pregnant, laden with eggs or young, in the case of livebearers. Their behavior toward each other will change. Lots of side by side body shaking, sharing the same anemone, defending their "space", it seems like a "flirtatious" dance. They are like teenagers. You know they are going to do it, you just don't know when.

2. Neways to make them breed?

Hmm, don't know any "new ways" to make them breed. Just the old fashion way, put them together (preferably in their own quarters, a 10 gal will do), feed them the best foods often, perfect water conditions, constant temps, some privacy and they will eventually do it.

3. How do you get the eggs off rocks if they lay em?

You don't!

4. How do you make them lay em on a disk or something or do the clwonfish just do it?

In their private quarters, you offer them something to lay the egges such as a tile surface, flower pot or whatever. They will decide where to lay their eggs. It may not be where you planned for them to lay.

5.HOw can u tell if the clownfish is gonna have babies

They look plump or gravid. See explanation above and picture below.

DSC_0037-5.jpg

My very gravid female A. percula.

6. What size do they have to be to breed?

It's not so much size but age and sexual maturity. Generally about one year under ideal conditions, sometimes longer.

I highly recommend you get Joyce Wilkerson's book on breeding clown fish and read it.

Dick

OP
OP
rebelprettyboy

rebelprettyboy

xMRxCOMPLTEx
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Begs the question 'why do you want them to breed?' Just curious or to rear offspring?

IF they do mate, it's quite a challenge to raise the fry. In a nutshell, you need a dedicated tank, rotifer cultures of various sizes, and many sleepless nights. As newborns, even bright light is enough to stress them to death. Zero chance of raising clownfish from fry to even juveniles by accident. They are too delicate to survive in a reef aquarium, which is why a dedicated system is a must.

Curious and I wanna attempt to rasie em. Might not get it the 1st or 2nd time, but by the 3rd time I should have the steps down pact.

OP
OP
rebelprettyboy

rebelprettyboy

xMRxCOMPLTEx
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may or may not have a pair. Assuming you do, one will become very noticeably plump in the abdomen area. That condition is also know as being "gravid", or pregnant, laden with eggs or young, in the case of livebearers. Their behavior toward each other will change. Lots of side by side body shaking, sharing the same anemone, defending their "space", it seems like a "flirtatious" dance. They are like teenagers. You know they are going to do it, you just don't know when.

Hmm, don't know any "new ways" to make them breed. Just the old fashion way, put them together (preferably in their own quarters, a 10 gal will do), feed them the best foods often, perfect water conditions, constant temps, some privacy and they will eventually do it.

You don't!

In their private quarters, you offer them something to lay the egges such as a tile surface, flower pot or whatever. They will decide where to lay their eggs. It may not be where you planned for them to lay.

They look plump or gravid. See explanation above and picture below.

DSC_0037-5.jpg

My very gravid female A. percula.

It's not so much size but age and sexual maturity. Generally about one year under ideal conditions, sometimes longer.

I highly recommend you get Joyce Wilkerson's book on breeding clown fish and read it.

Dick

Thanks. When I get paid im gonna get that book from someone for 23? Is that good or not? 23 shipped?

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you should get Wilkerson's book if you're going to attempt to raise the fry. The book is treated as canon by many. I'd also recommend the forum at rareclownfish.

weimers75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've raised three batches using Wilkerson's book- its a must! I kept my pair in my main reef tank, they don't need a seperate tank at all. I put a clay flower pot in the tank which they took to right away. After that, its just time. Depending on what type of clowns you have depends on the size before they will breed. Maroons are huge, while occys in comparison are small.

Jason300zxTT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine always seem to shake/shimmy at each other it seems to be only one shakes towards the other. one is a little bigger then the other so i assume i have a male and female. are they trying to mate or is it just a wiggle at each other for the fun of it?

Amphibious

Oldest Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If conditions are right, that could be pre-spawn behavior. It could go on a long time if conditions are not just right. It could also be their particular behavior based on the life they lead before coming into your possession.

Caleb Bruyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone? I have a mated pair of maroon clowns. the female is twice the size of the male. My son wants to make this tank his and I know he will want to see if they will breed. They are in a small 30 gallon. Is it possible to get them to lay eggs. They keep moving the substrate like they are trying to make a place for eggs. I have a couple extra tanks and wonder how hard to raise fry with rotifers.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back