Clownfish Died Help ID Issue

BeardedMcG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night my male clown was perfectly fine. 24 hours later its dead. I came home this afternoon to find it barely breathing and laying on the bottom. It swam a bit but was lethargic and upside down. A few minutes later it was no longer moving or breathing. I cant see any visible signs. I’ve had two clowns in the tank for 6 months with no issues.

Ammonia 0
Nitrates 4-5
PO4 0.02
Temp 78
Salinity 35ppt calibrated refractometer
Ph 8.2

CE0F5879-C2B2-4F07-93D4-0799CE6EBC4B.jpeg

OP
OP
BeardedMcG

BeardedMcG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever noticed him poop? Was it white stringy poop or normal dark? How old was this guy?

From the outside I cant see anything either...
I can’t recall the poop color. I asked my wife and she doesn’t recall seeing white poop either.

I think him and the female are the same age. I got them both from the LFS 6 months ago. She is about 2 inches long. Probably a year but thats just a guess.

OP
OP
BeardedMcG

BeardedMcG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the other side and do see some black “staining” below the pectoral fin. Maybe a fungus? Note the white spot on the back fin is a reflection from my flash.

D45151D7-E91A-479F-B961-A4C73F8B68C8.jpeg

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm.... That is so tough, and I'm sorry you are dealing with this. Its so hard when its a mystery like this. I am sorry I'm not much help. Sounds like you have another one yet that is still doing good, just keep your eye on her/him to make sure they don't have any stringy white poop as that would be indication of an internal issues. Take a peak here if you get to that point: https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/internal-issues.9/

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the other side and do see some black “staining” below the pectoral fin. Maybe a fungus? Note the white spot on the back fin is a reflection from my flash.
Let me scour my book of Fish Diseases and see if I can find anything like that...

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see any obvious issues, I’m sorry for your loss. The fish does look thin, whether due to not eating much or internal parasites I cannot be sure. Without physical symptoms I’d suggest this as the likely culprit.

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As 4FordFamily said it is a tough one for sure. The only other thing I can come up with that jumped out at me is maybe some sort of Vibriosis. (Internal Parasites)

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back