Clownfish Domestic Violence

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gaspipe
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Gaspipe

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 16, 2019
Messages
775
Reaction score
423
Location
Cranford
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two clowns are fighting. And the female is really going after.

I think the male has grown a little and could be competing?

Any advice would be appreciated.

 
Last edited:
So weird. I turned off the lights and now they are both laying together in their Zoa garden.

Haven’t seen them fight like this. Even when I first got them.
 
I have a pair of blood orange clowns and the female probably once a month reminds the male she is the boss. Usually last about half a day.
 
Last edited:
I have an ocellaris female (presumably) that has killed three others. I got her and another when they were both small a few years ago. Within 3 months I found the other one dead.
Last month I bought two more that were half her size, and they were both dead within a week. One was missing half "his" face.
I'm destined to have only one clownfish I suppose.
 
1783652071458.jpeg


Time for each Clown to return to its respective corner!
 
Typical clownfish behavior. Females will usually bully the males. Sometimes aggression will stop, and they will move on; other times they will keep fighting. I would just keep an eye on them and make sure they are not constantly fighting
 
I have an ocellaris female (presumably) that has killed three others. I got her and another when they were both small a few years ago. Within 3 months I found the other one dead.
Last month I bought two more that were half her size, and they were both dead within a week. One was missing half "his" face.
I'm destined to have only one clownfish I suppose.
Sorry to hear that!
 
The first pair of clowns I had did this for weeks. I mean it was rough but every night they would sleep together it ended up that the smaller one wanting to be the dominant one, and it did, after that it simmered down. But mine used to exactly lock jaws like that for hours biting each other and what not. Both of them always had half of fin missing or scars on the face, like they went at each other hard. After the little one, got it through the big ones head that it was gonna be the female everything chilled out lol. But that smaller clown was so more aggressive than that bigger one and that size difference was not very dramatic.
 
Looks pretty standard. Mine went around both submitting to each other the first couple weeks then the slightly larger one pulverized the other. Poor guy floated vertical with his head at the surface for a day, deep bite marks on him. Now they are married and sleep together.
 
So weird. I turned off the lights and now they are both laying together in their Zoa garden.

Haven’t seen them fight like this. Even when I first got them.
Was the fighting always correlated with the lights (i.e. did they consistently stop fighting when the lights went off, at least at certain times of day)?
 
Was the fighting always correlated with the lights (i.e. did they consistently stop fighting when the lights went off, at least at certain times of day)?

So strange, I have only had the pair for 2-3 months. When first introduced into the tank there was a little bullying, but that lasted like an hour or so. And it was bullying not so much fighting.

Thur evening I saw they started fighting. And to be honest, before this I noticed the male was getting bigger. To the point I wouldn't be able to identify if it was the male or female, until both swimming with each other. I assume the male was trying to make a power move.

So Thur, they are fighting. Not really sure what to do, I turned the lights off and the went back to bed together. No fighting, I thought it was over. Friday, I was able to monitor them and no issues. To be honest I forgot they even fought, seemed all fine.

I was away this weekend and asked my son to feed the fish on Sat. Well he finds the male dead.

I am so annoyed and ticked at the female. I felt like this was totally uncalled for.

I have to assume that Nature has it's own rules that go beyond what we observe.
 
So strange, I have only had the pair for 2-3 months. When first introduced into the tank there was a little bullying, but that lasted like an hour or so. And it was bullying not so much fighting.

Thur evening I saw they started fighting. And to be honest, before this I noticed the male was getting bigger. To the point I wouldn't be able to identify if it was the male or female, until both swimming with each other. I assume the male was trying to make a power move.

So Thur, they are fighting. Not really sure what to do, I turned the lights off and the went back to bed together. No fighting, I thought it was over. Friday, I was able to monitor them and no issues. To be honest I forgot they even fought, seemed all fine.

I was away this weekend and asked my son to feed the fish on Sat. Well he finds the male dead.

I am so annoyed and ticked at the female. I felt like this was totally uncalled for.

I have to assume that Nature has it's own rules that go beyond what we observe.
Sorry to hear that. My female for about 2 months aggressively chased and beat up the male to the point where I thought he wouldn’t make it. Their perfectly fine now and not very aggressive but unfortunately I’m gonan have to trade them in I think bc their fine with everything else…… except trying to host and kill every coral I have. A few of my gonis haven’t been right ever since they try hosting them. The constant rubbing up against and kicking up sand in it irritates them too much to the point where they’ve already killed one. Hopefully you can find another mate and it goes better and they get along
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new