Clownfish Eggs NEVER Hatch

Eynar Dzhavadov

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have been having a problem with both Clownfish pairs eggs never hatching. After about day 8-10, they just eat their eggs when they are all silver and you can see their eyes.

About 6 months or so of egg laying 3x a month or more, and they never hatch. I have 2 breeding pair of Blue Chromis that are attached to the same system, that lay eggs weekly and they always hatch by the hundreds. One of the breeding Chromis are even in my DT with 6 other fish who they defend their fry against until I remove them.

The clowns and the second Chromis pair are all in their own tanks.

A couple times I removed the one of the Clown pairs eggs on day 8 and put them in a bucket of tank water with an air stone. The first time they never hatched and the eggs obviously died (yellow) and the second time, 3 hatched, but immediately went towards the bottom of the bucket and died.

Just to see if the technique was wrong, I did the same thing to the Chromis eggs and had the biggest hatch I have ever seen. All the eggs hatched and I had a bucket full of Chormis fry.

BTW The Chromis hatch during the day, every time. I read that Clowns hatch at lights out, so I recreated the light on/off situation on the bucket.

I just dont know why otherwise healthy eggs would not hatch, especially when I have Chromis popping out fry like popcorn, and I hear that Clowns are supposed to be the easier to raise.

Any help would be great.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. :)

What are you feeding the clowns?
How old are the clowns?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back