Clownfish failure to thrive.

joekidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a group of five month old Tomato clownfish that I raised, one of them is tiny and still has a little of his 2nd stripe on. The others lost their second stripe two months ago.

I've since separated it from the others because it was being picked on relentlessly and still feed b2 food.

Is this a birth defect? It just won't grow up.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say yes or know. But keeping more than 1 male and 1 female clown fish together will give you issues.

OP
OP
joekidwell

joekidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say yes or know. But keeping more than 1 male and 1 female clown fish together will give you issues.
A harem of clownfish especially juveniles from the same clutch are fine. It's where this one stayed small and the others grew twice it's size, causing the problem.

I'm just wondering if I'm fighting a lost cause by feeding it or should I just let it go. It's no big deal I have new eggs in the oven for the next hatch.

Ella Breeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a group of five month old Tomato clownfish that I raised, one of them is tiny and still has a little of his 2nd stripe on. The others lost their second stripe two months ago.

I've since separated it from the others because it was being picked on relentlessly and still feed b2 food.

Is this a birth defect? It just won't grow up.
Hey, It's not uncommon for clownfish to exhibit varying growth rates, and individuals within the same batch can develop at different paces. The presence of the second stripe on one of your five-month-old Tomato clownfish might be due to genetic variation, and it's not necessarily a birth defect.
But yeah, separating it from the others due to relentless picking is a good move to ensure it's well-being. Keep providing a nutritious diet, and monitor its progress. If the growth delay continues or if you observe any concerning changes, consulting with a vet or experienced aquarist might offer more tailored advice. Thank you.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 105 80.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back