Can clownfish aggression be reduced by separating the pair?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh... That was a bad title... :rolleyes:

I have a pair of Tomato Clownfish that were aggressive every time I put my hand in the tank. And, they have become super aggressive now that they have laid eggs on the glass at the base of the tank.

This pair spawns around once per month, maybe once every 6 weeks. And, they always eat their eggs, which isn't a big deal to me because I am not ready to raise fry.

But their aggression is concerning, particularly since I am gearing up to add a pair of Saddleback puffers in 45 days.

I'm thinking about separating these two for a few months. Perhaps they believe in the
"safety in numbers" strategy, so separating them for a few months might make them more timid.

I'm also wondering, that when a time comes to put them into the same tank again, will they:

• Will they do the "dance of dominance" all over again?
  • Will they function as separate fish (not become a pair again)

Or, maybe I should re-home to their own tank...

Thoughts anyone?

Thank you,
Dom

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh... That was a bad title... :rolleyes:

I have a pair of Tomato Clownfish that were aggressive every time I put my hand in the tank. And, they have become super aggressive now that they have laid eggs on the glass at the base of the tank.

This pair spawns around once per month, maybe once every 6 weeks. And, they always eat their eggs, which isn't a big deal to me because I am not ready to raise fry.

But their aggression is concerning, particularly since I am gearing up to add a pair of Saddleback puffers in 45 days.

I'm thinking about separating these two for a few months. Perhaps they believe in the
"safety in numbers" strategy, so separating them for a few months might make them more timid.

I'm also wondering, that when a time comes to put them into the same tank again, will they:

• Will they do the "dance of dominance" all over again?
  • Will they function as separate fish (not become a pair again)

Or, maybe I should re-home to their own tank...

Thoughts anyone?

Thank you,
Dom
If they are aggressive to the point of physically hurting you, can you use tongs or gloves? I have some product recommendations if you go that route. I wouldn't separate a paired couple of clowns, that would be a shame. Putting them in their own tank is always a good option too.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t. If you separate them there is a chance they won’t pair again. Are they aggressive to other tank inhabitants or just you? I have a pair of Clownfish that both draw blood no matter where my hand is if it’s in the tank. For all that nonsense I see them get bullied by a Blenny regularly.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are aggressive to the point of physically hurting you, can you use tongs or gloves? I have some product recommendations if you go that route. I wouldn't separate a paired couple of clowns, that would be a shame. Putting them in their own tank is always a good option too.

The problem isn't that they hurt me when they attack (although it does startle me).

I'm noticing they are venturing out further into the 6 ft. tank they are in.

Rehoming them back into their smaller tank is probably the best thing to do. I purchased this tank to get all of my fish into one tank.

Otherwise, the only other thing I can do is add the fish I have in QT when its done and hope for the best.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back