Clownfish aggression

Giancarlo_Flex

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 4, 2024
Messages
59
Reaction score
17
Location
Miami
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1224.jpeg
So I have had my 2 orange clowns for 2weeks now. Today I decided to get 2 black clownfish as my local shop said I could get 2 more. After 5min one of the orange clownfish has been nipping and attacking the black clowns. I then removed both black clowns to a QT. I ordered an acclimation box that arrives tomorrow and will most likely put both black clowns in them. Any tips, what I should do to reduce aggression. Do I put the black pair or the aggressive clownfish in the acclimation box?
 
Your LFS gave you horrible advice, you typically cant keep 2 pairs of clowns together unless the tank is HUGE. You will probably want to look into returning a pair
 
How big is the tank? Just a few minutes of googling would have told you that more than 2 clowns per tank usually doesn't work out, you will likely end up with 2 dead clowns.

Researching livestock before purchase is very important for success in this hobby, 'someone told me', or 'LFS told me' is not really a good excuse.
 
Unless you have a large tank like 150g or more this is a bad idea. They are very territorial and will kill the others to defend their turf.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new