Clownfish Favia Bed

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to share this video of my clownfish hosting a favia coral. I thought it was cool!

Last edited:
OP
OP
soreefed

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clown gravitated right to the favia when i put them both in at the same time. I thought it was a weird pairing haha but weeks later clown still likes it.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure it's a dragon soul favia
True favias are in the atlantic, and the collection and sale of atlantic corals is illegal and has been illegal since the 70s. Most favias in the hobby these days are actually dipsastraea, with the rest being favites, coelastrea, goniastrea, astrea, etc.
Looks like a goniastrea to me
I think you got that from Jake Adams saying that dragon soul favias are actually goniastrea palauensis (now coelastrea palauensis). However, there are other species of corals that look similar to dragon souls, such as dipsastraea rosaria and favites paraflexuosus.

OP
OP
soreefed

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True favias are in the atlantic, and the collection and sale of atlantic corals is illegal and has been illegal since the 70s. Most favias in the hobby these days are actually dipsastraea, with the rest being favites, coelastrea, goniastrea, astrea, etc.

I think you got that from Jake Adams saying that dragon soul favias are actually goniastrea palauensis (now coelastrea palauensis). However, there are other species of corals that look similar to dragon souls, such as dipsastraea rosaria and favites paraflexuosus.
Fair enough! I remember reading something about this reclassification. Why do all the coral distributors still call them favia?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No surprise. Clowns are dumb yet funny. Give them a stick of dynamite and they'd nestle in it

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough! I remember reading something about this reclassification. Why do all the coral distributors still call them favia?
Coral vendors still call them favia because not many people know about the change (including some of the vendors). If they started calling them dipsastraeas, favites, etc, people would not know what the vendors are talking about. My solution to this is to call them dipsastraea/favites/etc but have the word favia in parenthesis next to it.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Half the vendors are calling it Dragon Soul Favia and the other half are calling it Goniastrea these days.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Half the vendors are calling it Dragon Soul Favia and the other half are calling it Goniastrea these days.
Neither of them are correct. There are 3 possible species it could be: coelastrea palauensis (formerly goniastrea), dipsastraea rosaria (formerly favia), or favites paraflexuosus. I do not believe dragon soul favias are coelastrea, because coelastreas have shared walls. They could be favites as those sometimes don't have shared walls, but the best guess would be dipsastraea rosaria.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 103 57.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 53 29.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 64 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 31 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 53 29.6%
Back