Clownfish Fighting after Discovering BTA

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey clown fish ppl, I've had a pair of picasso ocelaris clowns and a black widow BTA for about 6 months. The two clownfish were paired at my LFS, and have always swam together but ignored the anemone until recently. Now, the clownfish are hosting the anemone (YAY!) but never at the same time. The male isn't allowed in the anemone when the female is inside, but as soon as the female leaves he goes right in. When the male tries to join, the female gets aggressive and the male does a frantic wiggle when she attacks him (I assume it's some kind of submission display). She continues attacking until he leaves. Is this normal? There's plenty of room for both of them. The nem is almost 6 inches in diameter when fully open.

OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The male has stopped trying to join the female in the anemone. Is there anything I can or should do to help them figure it out?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s nothing you can do other than replacing the pair. Can’t force them

Neoma369

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey clown fish ppl, I've had a pair of picasso ocelaris clowns and a black widow BTA for about 6 months. The two clownfish were paired at my LFS, and have always swam together but ignored the anemone until recently. Now, the clownfish are hosting the anemone (YAY!) but never at the same time. The male isn't allowed in the anemone when the female is inside, but as soon as the female leaves he goes right in. When the male tries to join, the female gets aggressive and the male does a frantic wiggle when she attacks him (I assume it's some kind of submission display). She continues attacking until he leaves. Is this normal? There's plenty of room for both of them. The nem is almost 6 inches in diameter when fully open.
Unfortunately the females are hateful! and this is pretty typical IMHO

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back