clownfish fry

SNAKEMANVET

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My larva will hatch In my display tank where salinity Is 1.025.I have my grow out tank at 1.017 and my rotifers are also 1.017.How do I acclimate the fry to the change In salinity.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a 5g water change on the parent tank and put that water and the fry in a 10g tank. The fry are very fragile at this stage and I'd imagine you'd have a total loss if you tried to move them to a different system right away.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason that you have the salinity so much lower in the grow out tank?

thedasher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to use the parent tank water for the grow out tank so that all parameters are the same. And the rotifers will be OK in the same salinity as the parent tank

bustayanky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to use the parent tank water for the grow out tank so that all parameters are the same. And the rotifers will be OK in the same salinity as the parent tank

+1 with thedasher. I have my rotifers in the same salinity as parent tank. I think they grow better at lower salinity but even at parent tank's salinity the rotifers will grow plenty good.

OP
OP
S

SNAKEMANVET

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks guys,I thought I read the quick change in salinity would kill the rotifers

OP
OP
S

SNAKEMANVET

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change is done,just waiting until later tonight to catch fry.Thanks again guys.

JerryO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My larva will hatch In my display tank where salinity Is 1.025.I have my grow out tank at 1.017 and my rotifers are also 1.017.How do I acclimate the fry to the change In salinity.
There's a really good FaceBook page called Clownfish breeding USA. It's a great forum that is extremely helpful. Not sure why you're keeping your grow out tank with such a low salinity.

JerryO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a really good FaceBook page called Clownfish breeding USA. It's a great forum that is extremely helpful. Not sure why you're keeping your grow out tank with such a low salinity.

OP
OP
S

SNAKEMANVET

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jerry.The reason I had it low was to match my rotifers salinity.I thought I read somewhere that the change in salinity would kill the rotifers when I add them to the larva tank.

Last edited:

president89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this is a great page. I too are trying to raise clownfish. Thanks for this

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 123 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 98 34.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 45 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back