OP
Bubs2

Bubs2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
36c2f32172b85445c9ab834ec72222b2.jpg

Can a test kit get deffective when old? Left is my LFS (just picked something up) middle is my display, right is the quarantine tank, and front is water I mixed

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imo drop a bacteria in to get the am down. do that before you add air.
@melypr1985 yes?
worry about the meds later? stressed fish in high ammoina.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
36c2f32172b85445c9ab834ec72222b2.jpg

Can a test kit get deffective when old? Left is my LFS (just picked something up) middle is my display, right is the quarantine tank, and front is water I mixed

If it's expired (date is usually printed on the box) then it can get defective. You'll do better seeing a true color when looking at it with the color card behind the vial (not laying on the table) and in a bright area with white light. If you even suspect ammonia is in the QT, do a water change.
imo drop a bacteria in to get the am down. do that before you add air.
@melypr1985 yes?
worry about the meds later? stressed fish in high ammoina.

Adding bacteria to the tank will help in the long run, but for right this minute a water change is in order.

OP
OP
Bubs2

Bubs2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK do a water change. You'll need to dose the copper in the new water before putting it back in the tank. He probably wont get his appetite back until he starts feeling better. Most fish can go a week or two without food before getting in real trouble. You can combine Prazi and copper, but I advise against it unless it's absolutely necessary. You may want to wait until the copper treatment is complete before dosing prazi.... this is mainly do to the bacterial bloom that can happen sometimes when doing them together. The bloom will suck the oxygen out of the water, so it's a risk, but not one that can't be dealt with.

Did the water change, but shes already paper thin.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's expired (date is usually printed on the box) then it can get defective. You'll do better seeing a true color when looking at it with the color card behind the vial (not laying on the table) and in a bright area with white light. If you even suspect ammonia is in the QT, do a water change.

Adding bacteria to the tank will help in the long run, but for right this minute a water change is in order.
yup both will lower AM

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did the water change, but shes already paper thin.

OK. I had to go back through the thread to be sure I had the right background here. I thought there was copper in the tank, but there doesn't seem to be. Did you only dose Prazi once? Was that in the display or in the QT? If it was in the display, how long was this clown exposed to it before being removed to the QT?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She died a couple minutes ago. The other fish are doing fine

I'm sorry she died. But what I would do in your shoes right now is this:
  • Do a 20-25% WC on the DT
  • Dose another round of Prazipro
  • Keep a close eye on all your fish in the DT and hope whatever she died from wasn't contagious
It's tough to lose a fish for an unknown reason. But keeping the bigger picture (your DT) in focus will help everything to stay in perspective.

OP
OP
Bubs2

Bubs2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry she died. But what I would do in your shoes right now is this:
  • Do a 20-25% WC on the DT
  • Dose another round of Prazipro
  • Keep a close eye on all your fish in the DT and hope whatever she died from wasn't contagious
It's tough to lose a fish for an unknown reason. But keeping the bigger picture (your DT) in focus will help everything to stay in perspective.
Do you think she coudlve died because a fish was stressing her? A fish in my tank used to try to body her in a corner. That might be why she started hiding and stopped eating because the fish stressed her out to much? Then died in the QT because she was to weak?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think she coudlve died because a fish was stressing her? A fish in my tank used to try to body her in a corner. That might be why she started hiding and stopped eating because the fish stressed her out to much? Then died in the QT because she was to weak?

It's possible. Which fish was bullying her? This is new info to me, unless I missed it somehow.

OP
OP
Bubs2

Bubs2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible. Which fish was bullying her? This is new info to me, unless I missed it somehow.
The yellow tang. I didnt say it because I only saw it happen at the start and when she moved to the back I didn't see it happen. Unless the tang did it at night...

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow tang. I didnt say it because I only saw it happen at the start and when she moved to the back I didn't see it happen. Unless the tang did it at night...

How big is your DT? YTs can be real jerks and this bad behavior gets amplified if kept in too small a tank.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 38 36.9%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 55 53.4%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 3.9%
Back