Clownfish: how long to accept a new male?

DarkTonio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My male clown died from jumping out a couple of weeks ago. I decided to add a new small clownfish (dunno if it’s a male…) but it keeps being attacked by the much bigger female.
I put it in a plastic isolation box inside the tankfor 5 days but when I tried to free him, attacked started again. How long will it take ? Is it the good way to proceed ? Is it possible the female refuses any new companion ?

Birdman Broham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
It is possible for the clown to refuse. Specially after the “female” was the only clown in tank for a little bit. It’s more of a territorial thing now. Never assume there going to mate there is absolutely nothing you can do to attempt to make them bond or pair again. It’s pure luck. Something you can try to be a little better on is inside your box you have. If it’s acrylic or see through you can place it where the larger clown hangs out to get it used to seeing the new clown you added and hopefully that will work.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I had a maroon female nearly kill smaller male before they became a couple and started laying eggs on regular.

I was going to take the male out, he was shredded, wife said leave it - she was right at the time

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What JayM said. It's also possible (fortunately very unlikely) clowns will divorce or will stop associating with an anemone they've hosted for a while. Good luck!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it is “too soon?”

She may still be waiting for her dead ex to come back home from his fling. Lots of mates are stubbornly faithful and wait for their wandering companion to return.

She also may be happier as a solo widow after all the energy and drama that she’s been dealing with from the last jerk she was hooked up with?
So Excited Reaction GIF by Originals

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this problem myself but I was concerned for the life of the male and ended up removing him entirely after 3ish attempts at introduction and isolation cage use etc.

Then I got a different clown, a much smaller clown with dramatically different coloration and the female in the tank took a couple of rushes at him the first day and then left him alone. Now they're happily swimming about. Not a pair I don't think, but they swim together without aggression.

Sometimes you just need to try another clown, another color, another size. This was my last ditch attempt before I accepted that she would be a lone female too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back