Clownfish ID

talh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello--

Apologize if this is the wrong thread, but I didn't see a fish ID. I got a clownfish pair from my LFS just over a year ago. My, they have grown so much since then! However, I'm not really sure what kind of clown my male is. I believe the LFS said he was a snowflake, but his white color actually touches on one side. Can you guys tell me what kind of clown he is?

Thanks in advance.

20170313_152716[1].jpg

20170313_152933[1].jpg

20170313_152932[1].jpg

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im also guessing this is not directly from ORA but bred from a gladiator and a snowflake from ORA. I could be completely wrong though.

OP
OP
T

talh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im also guessing this is not directly from ORA but bred from a gladiator and a snowflake from ORA. I could be completely wrong though.

I'm thinking this may be true. He does look a lot like a snowflake, whatever the grade below premium is. Saw a pic on the web and thought he looked like snowflake, but not pure because of that white coming together on one side of his face.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking this may be true. He does look a lot like a snowflake, whatever the grade below premium is. Saw a pic on the web and thought he looked like snowflake, but not pure because of that white coming together on one side of his face.

The white helmet on the other side is gladiator.

BMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to ask....why are people attracted to clowns that have coloration not found in the wild. To me they look like tank raised genetic defects. Just my opinion. Not an insult to anyone taste.

OP
OP
T

talh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to ask....why are people attracted to clowns that have coloration not found in the wild. To me they look like tank raised genetic defects. Just my opinion. Not an insult to anyone taste.

I understand what you're saying. I think a good analogy would be to compare it to cars. My dad loves classic cars and he has restored 2 old Cadillacs as well as a Pontiac Catalina 2+2. He put only original parts on all his cars and even repainted the stock colors. He wants them as close to original as possible. For me, I recently bought a new motorcycle and immediately got a new exhaust, clutch lever, brake lever, installed a fender eliminator, and adjusted the suspension. I want the bike to look like mine and no one else's. I think it's the same way with clownfish. I love that my clowns are super unique and I will not likely see fish anything like this the next time I go to my LFS. Especially with my male, I'm not sure I'd see a specimen like him anywhere.

I'm not a purist. I like things different and if there's no harm done in creating different mix breeds, I'm all for it. It makes my clowns unique and special. For you, you want your slice of the ocean just like you literally sliced it out of the ocean and that's okay too.

BMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the "make it mine" concept. I own a Harley. I truly don't find these clowns attractive. Anyway....happy reeking !

KTownReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the "make it mine" concept. I own a Harley. I truly don't find these clowns attractive. Anyway....happy reeking !
You must be in the minority due to all the designer clowns out there. My guess is there are more designer bred in captivity then originals. I love my designer clowns

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people get it, some don't. I am a huge fan of hybrid animals, and even a bigger fan of captive breed marine animals. Combine the two, ORA rocks!

BMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people get it, some don't. I am a huge fan of hybrid animals, and even a bigger fan of captive breed marine animals. Combine the two, ORA rocks!

Are you saying I don't get it ? Please ! I would choose tank raised over wild caught all day long. I'll say it again...."to me" these fish are ugly ! I won't buy one. That's my opinion. I get it. Maybe others don't.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.1%
Back