Clownfish ill?

jts813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a new thread but the context is I recently got some online fish that were supposedly quarantined by the shop but about a week later they died. My preexisting fish have been fine. But I’ve been more hyper vigilant. I noticed my black clownfish has a white stringy poop. Swimming well put seems to be less interested in eating this morning. Usually will attack the surface but instead was just swimming about and would nibble at things that went down the water column. I’m worried and when I took a picture with bright white light the coat also looks funny or is that a lighting artifact? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. One photo with natural lighting. One with the white light.

IMG_5120.jpeg IMG_5126.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you QT the fish? It looks like Brooklynella - however - it could be velvet or a combination of the 2. I would have said Ich, but - given the rapid deaths of the other fish - I would set up a hospital tank - and start copper therapy immediately (with testing - and an ammonia badge) per the protocol at the top of the reef- disease forum

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can you post a closer in, longer video? The way to tell velvet from other diseases is the respiration rate, and I can't see that in this video.

Jay

OP
OP
J

jts813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Will head to local pet store after work and get a hospital tank set up and meds. As well as a better video hopefully. Just doing a quick search of the local store the choices are API general cure or fritz coppersafe. Is one more preferable then the other?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Will head to local pet store after work and get a hospital tank set up and meds. As well as a better video hopefully. Just doing a quick search of the local store the choices are API general cure or fritz coppersafe. Is one more preferable then the other?

Those two medications treat different problems. Coppersafe would be the best choice if this is velvet or ich. If it is Brooklynella, you need something with formalin in it. General Cure is most often used for external fluke worms, but can also help with the mucus feces. However, you need to treat the skin spots first.

Jay

OP
OP
J

jts813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those two medications treat different problems. Coppersafe would be the best choice if this is velvet or ich. If it is Brooklynella, you need something with formalin in it. General Cure is most often used for external fluke worms, but can also help with the mucus feces. However, you need to treat the skin spots first.

Jay
Thanks. Here is a video link. In placed him in QT and started coppersafe. We will see how he does.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Here is a video link. In placed him in QT and started coppersafe. We will see how he does.

O.K. - if this is ich or velvet, those other fish have been exposed and may likely get sick as well. If it is Brooklynella, it is more often isolated to clownfish and a few other species.

Fingers crossed!

Jay

OP
OP
J

jts813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update and further advice needed regarding display tank. The clownfish seems to be doing better in my 10-gallon QT with coppersafe treatment. Day 1 was just in bottom corner, didn't eat. Day 2 ate small amount that passed by him. Day 3 swam to the surface to get food. Now ~day 5 swimming more in middle water column. Definitely still not as active as I'm used to seeing him but seems to be getting better and good to see him eating. I'll keep in QT for 30 days.

My question is what do I do for my display tank? I have 4 other fish, cleaner shrimp, gorgonian, display macroalgae, snails, and a hermit crab. The rest of the fish seem to be doing fine still. I got ruby reef rally pro just in case but haven't used. I read hit or miss how safe it really is for rest of tank. Do I just leave display tank alone, continue to monitor, and if still appears ok then just reintroduce my clownfish at day 30? Or go ahead and treat the display tank? Unfortunately I don't think it is really feasible for me to QT or take out the other fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update and further advice needed regarding display tank. The clownfish seems to be doing better in my 10-gallon QT with coppersafe treatment. Day 1 was just in bottom corner, didn't eat. Day 2 ate small amount that passed by him. Day 3 swam to the surface to get food. Now ~day 5 swimming more in middle water column. Definitely still not as active as I'm used to seeing him but seems to be getting better and good to see him eating. I'll keep in QT for 30 days.

My question is what do I do for my display tank? I have 4 other fish, cleaner shrimp, gorgonian, display macroalgae, snails, and a hermit crab. The rest of the fish seem to be doing fine still. I got ruby reef rally pro just in case but haven't used. I read hit or miss how safe it really is for rest of tank. Do I just leave display tank alone, continue to monitor, and if still appears ok then just reintroduce my clownfish at day 30? Or go ahead and treat the display tank? Unfortunately I don't think it is really feasible for me to QT or take out the other fish.

It is unusual, but not impossible for a protozoan infection to affect just some fish in an aquarium. More likely, given time, the other fish will begin showing symptoms. Even if the other fish don't get sick outright, they could still carry a low level of infection that could reinfect the clownfish.

What I would do is continue with the copper for 30 days total. Then, hold the clownfish for 2 more weeks with no copper, and then decide if the other fish still look good, about putting putting the clownfish back with them.

Be sure to monitor the ammonia in your treatment tank!

Jay

OP
OP
J

jts813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish died today. Day 6-7 in QT. Yesterday and this morning didn't eat. Took the food out. The ammonia was negative. I had a hang on the back filter without carbon. A heater. As for cooper level, I used an API testing kit. Really hard to read, but looks between 1-2 closer to 2 I think. Bummer. He was the first fish from my tank but also the smallest. So even though the others my other fish in display tank look ok, I'm thinking of going ahead and treating with ruby reef rally pro? I'm thinking the prior new fish death, now my clown fish, even if my remaning display tank fish are strong they may still have a low level infection that may rear its head or in the future if I decide to add a new fish will cause problems again?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish died today. Day 6-7 in QT. Yesterday and this morning didn't eat. Took the food out. The ammonia was negative. I had a hang on the back filter without carbon. A heater. As for cooper level, I used an API testing kit. Really hard to read, but looks between 1-2 closer to 2 I think. Bummer. He was the first fish from my tank but also the smallest. So even though the others my other fish in display tank look ok, I'm thinking of going ahead and treating with ruby reef rally pro? I'm thinking the prior new fish death, now my clown fish, even if my remaning display tank fish are strong they may still have a low level infection that may rear its head or in the future if I decide to add a new fish will cause problems again?

Sorry to hear. I was hopeful in that the fish seemed to be improving.

What ammonias test were you using?

The API copper test is accurate, but difficult to read. You need to be at 2.0 to 2.5 ppm in order to cure an active infection, perhaps you were a little below that?

Jay

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 12.5%
Back