Clownfish issues

Jason Brown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I've had my clownfish for about 5 weeks now. Initially I saw a white spot on the dorsal fin, but it went away a day later so I figure it was just a piece of something in the aquarium stuck to the fin. Fast forward to today...

Last Saturday I added one head of frogspawn and 3 mushrooms without dipping. On Sunday I added a black juvenile clown (smaller) and a small bubble coral (dipped). The black clown started to chase her around and she nips at him to try and establish dominance. On Wednesday, my original clown started to hide under the protein skimmer and will only comes out to swim in the tank when the powerhead is off. No real interest in eating except for maybe 1 piece of garlic flake a few times a day.

Mouth looks swollen a bit, but no other physical symptoms visible. I'm wondering if you agree that my clown may have bit the frogspawn or bubble coral and is just sore? I thought it could be velvet, but no interest in swimming into the power head and no sensitivivty to light as she'll swim when the powerhead is off. Both my chromis and black clown are happy as a clam (hah) and the coral is all happy happy.

SG 1.025
PH 8.2
Amm 0.0
Nitrites 0.0
Nitrates 10
Temp 77-78

Thoughts?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swollen mouth could also be from the two clownfish locking jaws. Is the juvenile a lot smaller than the other clownfish? You might want to put one of them in an acclimation box for now until this gets sorted out.

OP
OP
J

Jason Brown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swollen mouth could also be from the two clownfish locking jaws. Is the juvenile a lot smaller than the other clownfish? You might want to put one of them in an acclimation box for now until this gets sorted out.

Hmm that could be! They are almost the same size, I'd say the black clown is 80-90% of the size overall of the orange clown, but the orange is definitely trying to establish dominance.

If that's the case is it just time to heal?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that's the case is it just time to heal?

Probably; although infection is always possible anytime an injury occurs. But preventing that injury from sustaining even more damage (i.e. the clowns keep fighting) is what's most important right now.

OP
OP
J

Jason Brown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got home from being out all day and she came out of her corner for some garlic flakes... good sign!

I haven't noticed black going after orange, more following around like a puppy dog lol. I'm leaning towards bubble coral/frogspawn contact mixed with stress of adding the black clown.

Appreciate the reply's will monitor!

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bobby...have a similar issue...2" tomato clown...have him for over 2 weeks in QT...on second day he came up with a white "pimple" next to his mouth...did a week in CP, but no help...changed his QT and put in cu...he's eating really well, no other symptoms, but the sore is still there...looked in Meredith's chart, nothing like it...doesn't seem like a worm, would a wound take this long to heal...never did a fw dip...could try it , have focus and metroplex...any ideas...his "mate" is in the DT with a long tenticled nem...also this fish is quite a bit bigger...I await your or Meredith's reply...tu...;Nurse

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bobby...have a similar issue...2" tomato clown...have him for over 2 weeks in QT...on second day he came up with a white "pimple" next to his mouth...did a week in CP, but no help...changed his QT and put in cu...he's eating really well, no other symptoms, but the sore is still there...looked in Meredith's chart, nothing like it...doesn't seem like a worm, would a wound take this long to heal...never did a fw dip...could try it , have focus and metroplex...any ideas...his "mate" is in the DT with a long tenticled nem...also this fish is quite a bit bigger...I await your or Meredith's reply...tu...;Nurse

I think Meredith has encountered this at the store, and Kanaplex + Metroplex cleared it up. But let's wait for @melypr1985 to confirm this.

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Meredith has encountered this at the store, and Kanaplex + Metroplex cleared it up. But let's wait for @melypr1985 to confirm this.
Thanks...have meto and focus...while waiting for Meredith, might as well start feeding with that combo...since he's eating very well...what do you think it is?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks...have meto and focus...while waiting for Meredith, might as well start feeding with that combo...since he's eating very well...what do you think it is?

Maybe a bacterial infection. Can you post a photo of the "pimple" for us to see?

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a bacterial infection. Can you post a photo of the "pimple" for us to see?
Don't know if this will help...

clown.JPG

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very similar to the "clown zit" I've dealt with before. It was kanaplex + metroplex dosed in the water. I've seen a clown die with this, but I haven't had any trouble treating it if caught early.

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very similar to the "clown zit" I've dealt with before. It was kanaplex + metroplex dosed in the water. I've seen a clown die with this, but I haven't had any trouble treating it if caught early.
No Kanaplex, but I used Focus and metro in food...we'll see in AM...

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi...expecting Kanaplex this Friday...been feeding Metro and focus in food and he's eating...should I wait till its all gone...wait for Kanaplex...if so how long...thanks...Ken;Jawdrop

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well feeding the metroplex in the food is great to treat for intestinal worms, but not awesome to treat external problems. If you want to treat the "zit" you'll want to dose both metroplex and kanaplex directly in the water. You can continue to feed the metroplex laced food while doing this and continue to treat for intestinal worms if he needs it. I can't remember if he needed to be treated for that or not at the moment.

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well feeding the metroplex in the food is great to treat for intestinal worms, but not awesome to treat external problems. If you want to treat the "zit" you'll want to dose both metroplex and kanaplex directly in the water. You can continue to feed the metroplex laced food while doing this and continue to treat for intestinal worms if he needs it. I can't remember if he needed to be treated for that or not at the moment.
no worms...but i figured it would be in his blood stream...anyhow, I should get the kanaplex on Friday...how much of each and for how long?...;Inpain

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no worms...but i figured it would be in his blood stream...anyhow, I should get the kanaplex on Friday...how much of each and for how long?...;Inpain

Kanaplex is 1 scoop every 5g, metro is 1 scoop every 10g. You'll want to dose every 48hours for 10 days, with a 25% water change before each dose.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 112 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back