Clownfish sick?? Help

Chreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I recently finished cycling my 29 gal standard size tank. Introduced 2 clowns on 3/8/24. My frost bite clown immediately started swimming low in the tank and under the rock work at times opening and closing mouth quickly. The next day the clown was swimming around in the water column slowly and still moving mouth quickly and has his pelvic fins retracted. Today the clown still has not eaten the pellets nor the mysis that I put in. The smaller clown seems to be doing fine swimming around normally. I’m concerned if the frost bite clown is sick or stressed

Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate- 10ppm
ph-8.2
Temp-78 F
I’ll attach a vid I’m a newbie reefer so I’m worried lol

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very hard to see but it looks like it's breathing pretty rapidly. Notice anyone wrong with their skin? Are they eating? Were they quarantined?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Chreefer

Chreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very hard to see but it looks like it's breathing pretty rapidly. Notice anyone wrong with their skin? Are they eating? Were they quarantined?
Hi thanks for taking the time to reply ! the only thing that I have noticed is that the clown has lost some of its color, not eating since introduction to aquarium and no I did not quarantine (smh).

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi thanks for taking the time to reply ! the only thing that I have noticed is that the clown has lost some of its color, not eating since introduction to aquarium and no I did not quarantine (smh).
Are you able to set up a quarantine tank? Unable to give a diagnosis with what's been provided so far but need to plan for the worst.

Please fill out as much as you can from the link I posted. In the mean time work on getting a hospital tank set up if you can.

OP
OP
Chreefer

Chreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you able to set up a quarantine tank? Unable to give a diagnosis with what's been provided so far but need to plan for the worst.

Please fill out as much as you can from the link I posted. In the mean time work on getting a hospital tank set up if you can.
Copy that will work on providing more info, what size am I able to get away with when setting up a QT?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copy that will work on providing more info, what size am I able to get away with when setting up a QT?
With just the 2 small fish a 10g would be best. 5g if u have to. Here's a link of some common issues with fish. Take a good look at brooklynella and velvet. Hopefully they don't resemble your fish, however the "skin losing color" is concerning.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One observation - the other clown looks better, I presume it’s eating? The sick clown has acted off since you got it, so that implies that there was something wrong with it when you got it. Did these clowns come from the same tank at the store?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This clown is thin, shows signs of aggression used against it and unless its eating and gains weight and is separated from potential bully will continue to deteriorate to the point of becoming moribund.

OP
OP
Chreefer

Chreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One observation - the other clown looks better, I presume it’s eating? The sick clown has acted off since you got it, so that implies that there was something wrong with it when you got it. Did these clowns come from the same tank at the store?
Hi jay, no they came from 2 separate tanks. The healthier looking clown is eating everytime I put some food in there.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi jay, no they came from 2 separate tanks. The healthier looking clown is eating everytime I put some food in there.
Ugh, that means the one tank could have had a disease issue in it.
Contacting the store would be one option, but since it’s been five days, they likely won’t take any responsibility. Maybe though, they know what the issue is and can tell you?

OP
OP
Chreefer

Chreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, that means the one tank could have had a disease issue in it.
Contacting the store would be one option, but since it’s been five days, they likely won’t take any responsibility. Maybe though, they know what the issue is and can tell you?
Hi jay thanks for the info unfortunately when I got home today the fish was low in the sand bed having trouble breathing and later passed.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi jay thanks for the info unfortunately when I got home today the fish was low in the sand bed having trouble breathing and later passed.
Sorry to hear

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back