Clownfish Issues

Codeblack88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two month ago I added a new clown to my 32 g system (the white one). For the first two days they fought (as expected from clowns) and stopped for about a week. But for the last three weeks they have been doing this routine everyday almost all the time. It always starts with the black one looking around the tank for the white one, then charging it and chasing it around the tank. Now and then the white one will stop and twitch at the black one as the black one headbutts it. When I separate them by putting the black one into a see though breeding cage, the white one will not leave the outside wall of the cage and will twitch at the black on. Neither clown have any visible damage but the white one is looking a little thin and was swimming kinda vertical for the last 30 min (it has recently stopped) so I reisolated the black one. I have tried everything from changing my scape to isolation for multiple weeks. Is this just normal breeding behavior or is this something that will make me need to rehome one of them? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s aggression behavior as clowns often do this with the larger (female) being the aggressor. It is often to do with territory, mating or just a bully

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small orange ocellaris and a small black ocellaris and they kept butting each other’s head and chasing each other the first two days. I used an acclimation box for a few hours on the black one, and like you said the orange one was waiting outside but it got better when I took him outside the acclimation box. Then next day they start all over so I just keep them separated but I’d love to reintroduce them so if anyone has any tips

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How do I know the difference?
Aggression- generally fin and tail nipping
Mating- dancing in circles, mouth to mouth tug of war
Territory- not allowing another into it’s zone

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aggression- generally fin and tail nipping
Mating- dancing in circles, mouth to mouth tug of war
Territory- not allowing another into it’s zone
Oh man maybe lines mating then cause it’s always mouth to mouth but they are so small so I didn’t expect it to happen so early...

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Oh man maybe lines mating then cause it’s always mouth to mouth but they are so small so I didn’t expect it to happen so early...
Mine do At about 5 months

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I mean there’s the occasional tail nip but most of it is mouth to mouth. They look like they are angry and fighting though haha, should I put him back in
You can. Just keep an eye on them

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s craZy everyone’s different experience with clowns. I bought two young ones. Same store different tanks. Put them together in qt. They nibbled for a day and became a bonded pair right away and show no aggression towards others. Am I lucky?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I feel like the orange clown is just aggressive cause he picks on my Pygmy angel too
That would be my suspicion. What you can do is set your phone on video mode for 30 minutes and walk away. Come back and review video and you’ll know if that fish is your problem child

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be my suspicion. What you can do is set your phone on video mode for 30 minutes and walk away. Come back and review video and you’ll know if that fish is your problem child
Haha will do, weird cause in my other tank my two clowns are the most peaceful and are never aggressive.

Back